Tire Pressure Monitoring Questions

Hi All:

I've got an '07 Camry which (as I think all new cars) comes with the tire pressure monitoring system. I'm thinking of getting a set of new wheels for snow tire use but would have to get new sensors as well. (I know I could just ignore the warning light for the period during which the snows are on the car.)

I don't think I want to do the mount/dismount/remount with one set of wheels every winter/spring and I don't want to have to go to the dealer to reprogram the car for the new set of sensors.

I'm wondering if I can buy the unit that "talks" to the car and reprogram the car for the sensor change each time. If so, what exactly am I looking for and where would I find it? (Other than at a Toyota dealer of course.)

Also, is the unit a standard device? Will it work on other cars with the TPMS? I ask because we'll be getting my wife a new car/van (possibly not Toyota) within a few months and it would be great if I could reprogram that car's TPMS as well when we switch tires on the new vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

- David

Reply to
David In NH

Don't know about the Toyota system, but Siemens' system is "universal for all standard Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) tire makes and models."

I've seen Siemens sensors for sale, but how the "universal" system accounts for varying tire pressures between cars and SUVs is beyond me. Of course, Walmart has tire pressure monitors too for about $1-2 each ;) ;)

=====

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 24 Siemens Automotive, one of the world's leading providers of automotive electronics safety technology, has developed a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) universal for all standard Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) tire makes and models. The system will make its market debut on a 2002 European vehicle application.

=====

Reply to
johngdole

To reprogram the Camry, you need the Toyota Scan Tool (MANY thousands of dollars -- even if you could find one) and the correct program. So, the quick answer is no, you cannot do it yourself.

Also, unlike some newer models, the Camry only stores one set of TPMS IDs.

So you have your choice of four doors:

1) Ignore the light.

2) Visit the Toyota dealer and pay them twice a year (oh, and also get a second set of sensors).

3) As you said, remount the sensors to the correct wheels twice a year.

4) Keep the TPMS mounted wheels in the garage, (very) near where the car is. Then it is POSSIBLE that you MIGHT be able to get away without the light coming on since the car will detect the sensors when you park the car. Some people have done this (w/ Prius) with good results, while others report that even after a few miles without detecting the sensor's the TPMS light comes on.

There are two EXCELLENT forums you can visit to learn more about the Camry (and Prius): greenhybrid.com and priuschat.com. Members of these forums include Toyota techs, so you can quite often get information "straight from the horses mouth."

BTW, I also have an '07 Camry (Hybrid).

I hope this info has been helpful.

Reply to
John H.

Thanks for the information John.

I think I'm going to do the simple thing - #1 below - ignore the light (maybe mask it off with some tape?)

Your information on the scan tool is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Reply to
David In NH