Torsion bar broken, rear

Hello guys!

I have noticed a thumping noice when i made turns coming from the rear. So i got underneath the car and started shaking parts underneath the car to find the loose part. Well, i found the culprit was the rear torsion bar, which is broken almost in the middle but more towards the right wheel. My questions are:

1) What is the job of the torsion bar? 2) Does it affect safety? 3) What is the cost to replace? 4) Would i be able to do it myself with hand tools?

1987 Toyota Camry

Thanks guys!

Myc

Reply to
B.F.

A torsion-bar is basically a spring uncoiled. Anti-roll/sway bars can be likened to a torsion bar, and I assume that's what you are refering to on the rear of your '87. They rarely break, and should be available in abundance at wrecking-yards. Replacement is not difficult as a roll bar is not under much tension with the car stationary.

A car without its rear roll-bar working could become a little unstable at speed over bumps in the road.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks Jason! Yeah, that might be what the part is called. It goes from left side (attached to the strut assembly) and to the right side (attached to the right strut assembly) in the rear.

Myc

Reply to
B.F.

on

is

at

Yep,..that's a roll-bar. As one strut tries to compress going around a corner, the roll bar twists applying a countering force due to the other strut not comprssing.. Once the car encounters dips in the road where both struts compress simultaneously, the roll bar exerts no action.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Thanks, That is a really clear explanation. I used to hear the term being used alot but was not sure what they were talking about. Am going to replace that part. Going to try doing it myself, will spray the old bolts with lots of 10w40 to make them not impossible to take out :)

Thank you Jason!

Reply to
B.F.