Total ATF capacity of 99 Camry Auto Trans with converter

Anyone know how much ATF is inside a 99 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine? Total ATF capacity, including the torque converter?

I know the pan holds about 2.6 quarts, but am curious about the total cap.

I have not been able to find a definitive answer on the 'net.

Reply to
Funky McCool14

Total capacity is about 6.7 qts.

Reply to
Philip

Thank you - I had heard 13 quarts but that didn't sound right. So 3-4 pain drains & subsequent refills should basically result in new fluid. (I am trying to do a fluid exchange to convert to synthetic ATF)

Reply to
Funky McCool14
13 quarts? In a front wheel drive Toyota? No. (LOL). I seem to recall the old cast iron GM Hydramatic, Ford C6's, and TorqueFlite 727's being up around 11-13 qts on a dry rebuild. The goal you have in mind will never be accomplished completely due to dilution. Pull the drain plug after the trans has sat for at least 6 hrs. You'll get more out because the torque converter has drained down to the input shaft thru the oil pump. This takes time. Refill and drive around for a few miles, repeat .... after 6+ hrs sitting. That's enough dilution to achieve a cost effective switch to your new synthetic.
--
   ~Philip.

"Funky McCool14"  wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Philip

Thanks for the tips. I figure without a fluid exchange, I am always going to have to contend with some dilution. I can deal with that as most the fluid will be synthetic.

I have read of people making their own homemade fulid exchange devices, and wonder if it's even worth considering... as I watched the last fluid exchange, I know which line is the output coming from the pump going to the cooler in the radiator... it wouldn't be too hard to craft some sort of tubing and reservior setup to replace fluid as it's being drained while the car is running.

Yet the idea of draining and refilling with a dilution factor seems easiest and would probably be adequate for all intents and purposes.

Reply to
Funky McCool14