Total electrical loss - please help!

Greetings ? I have a '92 Camry 4 cyl automatic w/ about 130 k miles. Recently when I try to start it I loose electricity. When turning the key the lights on the dashboard come on as usual but when turning the key all the way to start the car everything goes dead. It will start after trying again. This occurred a few times. Interestingly, while driving at about 50 mph the electricity was lost and the engine died immediately when turning the headlights on. Thought that may be a clue to someone. I was able to pull over costing in drive. After stopping, the car started and the lights came on. This all happened on the same day and I haven't taken it out since. Any ideas or anyone with such an experience? Really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Reply to
TD

Check your battery and alternator, its a free service at service stations that sell batteries. It sounds like a battery they can go bad in as little as a year and rarely last more than 6

Reply to
m Ransley

Also, check your battery cables for corrosion at the battery post AND the other ends of the cable. Especially the negative cable.

Doug

Reply to
-

Agree that this sounds like a poor electrical connection usually at the battery posts (clamp loose or corroded).

It maybe your battery is on its way out as well, but the sudden loss of electrical-power when the headlights were turned on can be a indication the car was running on its alternator only due to loose connections making poor electrical contact.

Replace the battery if its more than 3 years old,..if not, remove the cables from the battery and clean them plus the battery posts. Its not a bad idea to wear gloves to protect against acid. Check the cable connections at their other-end (starter and body) are tight and clean.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Just want to thank everyone for their very usefull and much appriciated response to the above problem. Cleaned the negative, replaced the battery and connections and had the alternator checked. Everything seems fine. I never had this happen before and really appriciate your help. -TD

Reply to
TD