totaled camry price

My insurance company is offering me $4900 for my totaled 1996 toyota camry LE (92k miles). When I looked up camrys in my area on various auto websites I found that similar milage cars of same year are being sold by dealers at atleast $6000. However, the retail value suggested by various "books" are as follows:

KBB = $6,375 excellent edmunds = $5,164 clean edmunds = $5,877 excellent NADA = $4,825 Average NADA = $5,675 High

It seems that the car is retailed at a higher value than one suggested by the vehicle pricing guides.

What should I do ??? Accept whatever I am being offered OR ask for more, since I will ultimately get a similar car for a higher price from a dealer. Also do they actually give u more if u can show them that the vehicle has higher retail value than ur being offered.

My insurance company is GEICO.

Plz help me. Thanks a lot

-manish

Reply to
m.manish

There are three price levels on any particular car. From highest to lowest, they are:

Dealer retail (what you would pay a dealer)

Private party resell (what the car would sell for by a private party transaction)

Dealer wholesale (what the dealer would give you for the car)

Go back and check the KBB price for those three levels. I bet what you find is that the private party sale price will be close to what GEICO is offering you, and all you can expect (and is more that what a dealer would give you on trade in. At least that is the general theory; every transaction is unique.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

I believe he should be getting dealer retail since he would have to go to a dealer and replace the car.

Reply to
Art

I recently dealt with insurance company. I had 1997 camry with 130000 miles on it. It was totaled and they offered me some money. I asked them to reconsider that.

If this is the first offer they have made the general rule of thumb is to go back and ask them to reconsider. In my case I made an argument that if I want to go back to a dealer and buy the same exact car I would have to pay more than what insurance is offering.

Insurance company is smart they will say KBB inflates prices and blah blah....

learnfpga

Geico always low balls. You need to argue with them. And then switch to someone else.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

IMHO, One rule that is usually as good as gold is don't ever take the insurance company first offer. It is a low ball offer to see if you will take it. Lot's of people do. Find out what your car is worth and stick to it. If they don't agree find one as good as yours and tell them to replace yours by buying it. I did that once and they sent me a check for what I demonstrated the market value was. Their first offer was ridiculously low.

Reb

Reply to
Reb

Tell the insurance company to go out and find you one. If they're so sure that you can get one for $4900 including tax, then tell them to pull it up front of their office and you'll drive away happily. Tell them that since they're the experts, they should have no problem finding a Camyr just like yours for that amount, but that out here in the "real world" some of us have probelms for less than about 6-7 grand.

Reply to
Whatsup

GEICO??

drop your pants, bend over, and bring your own vaseline..........

Reply to
markansas859

When my '85 Corolla GTS was stolen and 'totalled' the insurance co offered me full book value. According to what the OP said, NADA is $75 less than Geico offered him. This is a good deal since most ins cos go by NADA.

He can try to get more, but all in all this is a good offer.

Reply to
Hachiroku

....and if you're extra unlucky that lizard mascot of theirs will crawl up your butt and start to moonwalk.

Reply to
<psommerhalder