towing with the camry

Hi folks, I have a question for you all. I have a 1997 Camry LE, with the

2.2L I4. I am going to be towing a light sailboat, but I am concerned with the back end sagging. When I load it up I have to worry about bottoming out. Has anyone used the Air Lift 1000 to help with this problem??

I dont expect to have much tounge weight, but I would like to increase the ride height in the back end. I have searched for lift kits, but its coils in the back.

Does anyone have any ideas?!?! thanks for your help,

-Dan

Reply to
dano615

Rent a vehicle for towing

Reply to
m Ransley

Get/rent a pickup truck.

Reply to
Philip

The springs from a 6 cylinder are stiffer --- they might help in the rear. It should easily tow a Hobie Cat or other Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards

Reply to
Wolfgang

:-) I have a `94 ... looking at the potential/possible hitch 'anchor' ?points? ... I'd opine 100lbs tongue weight, 500lbs towed weight ... =MAX= .

I'd be leary even about 'that'.

Find a 'roof_top' weight boat ... a "sit atop".

I also have a 3/4T diesel PU ... pulls a 30'+ keel boat.

Ed.

Reply to
0_Qed

How heavy is the boat ? I assume the Camry is an automatic ? My biggest concern would be the transmission , depending on the weight of the boat of course. I ran air lift some time back and I really like it. I sold hitches a few years back when I was a partner in the RV business. Sold everything from Class 1 to Class IIII and also the 5th wheel type. Draw Tite has a Class 1 hitch for your Camry . Class 1 is rated for

2000lbs gross and 200lbs tongue weight. A very nice hitch that requires NO drilling and a very easy installation. I have put this type on in as little as 15 minutes. I don't sell them anymore so this is not a plug for myself. I was at one time a dealer for Draw Tite and highly recommend them. This hitch will set you back about 100.00 plus shipping and another 15.00 or so for electrical plug and wire.

Incidentally , I used to to pull my bass boat , a 16' fiberglass boat with a 115 hp V4 outboard and all my and my brothers junk.All this with a 1983 4 cyl Honda Accord and later with a 90 Honda Accord. The total weight of the rig and gear was approx 1400 lbs. I still have the 90 model and it's still going strong at 200,000 miles. Both of these cars were manual 5 speeds. We used to pull 500-600 miles each way quite often. I live in WV and we made lots of trips to SC , GA, TN and Lake Erie. I would have never tried to pull this much weight with an automatic. The little 4 cyl didn't do real well on the long interstate grades but we did keep above min speed LOL....on level we could easily break the speed limit. I remember being stopped for speeding on I 75 in KY. The trooper happened to be a bass fisherman and was admiring my boat. "By the way" , he said " How does the little Honda pull that boat" ? ...." How fast was I going " ?, I replied. Very nice guy , but , I still got a ticket . :-(

Not a fish tale.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

I tow a 12foot runabout which is aluminium c/w a 10 horse outboard,..occasionally and not very far (10ks or so) The manual Camry has more than enough power and the trailer is nicely balanced, so there is not too much down force on the coupling. Different story if you wanted to travel on a long trip,...the Camry is a bit too light for this.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Well,

Thanks for all your input!! Looks like I need to save for a different vehicle if I want to be towing more. I just like the non-towing MPG (CA gas is $2.60 and climbing).

I forgot to mention that I have the automatic, which some of your assumed and your were correct. Seems to me that there would be too much strain on it.

Any more input on the airlift kit would be great just for general use on vacations and having 4 people in the car!

thanks again!

-dan

Reply to
dano615

dano615 wrote: snip

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see a compact air bag that would work with a McPherson strut, like the Camry has in the rear.

Reply to
Philip