Toyota Camry 2002 Transmission Filter

Hello,

I want to find out where I can buy the transmission filter for 2002 Toyota Camry. I checked the dealer, and they are selling the filter for $48, and $14 for the gasket. This seems overpriced. I tried Pepboys and other auto stores, but they do not seem to carry it.

Is there any on-line place to purchase toyota parts and transmission fluid.

Also, is it recommended to change the filter every 30k miles. Or can I just change the fluid, and clean the filter.

Thanks

Reply to
Raj

Try other stores for the filter, dont try to clean the filter. Doesnt your trans have a drain plug, more frequent replacing of the oil and leaving the filter is helpfull but at 30000 put in a new filter

Reply to
m Ransley

If it's like the earlier versions, there's a metal screen, not a filter element. It is sufficient to simply remove the drain plug then refill properly (recommend fresh drain plug gasket each time) on a regular basis. Refill properly means after the car has been driven at least ten miles and the fluid is hot, with the engine idleing, and using the correct fluid for your vehicle. As long as the fluid is kept clean, no need to replace the screen. The gasket would need replacement only if leaking, also unlikely. Double check for 2002. Maybe ask the dealer to let you see one - don't think they're filter element needing periodic replacement, but permanent screens similar in concept to the filter mesh for fuel in the gas tank.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

The filter can clog and cannot be cleaned. To get an idea of wear you are getting replacing and examining the filter is smart.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Are there any on-line places to purchase Toyota parts, such as transmission filter, and transmission fluid. Dealers charge too much.. for Type IV transmission fluid, they charge $5/quart.. And other generic auto stores do not carry this type of fluids/filters.

Reply to
Raj

You dont need to get oil or filters at a dealer , go to an auto parts store. Same quality

Reply to
m Ransley

IF you are doing the Trani-oil change i suggest you go to a toyota delaer, since toyota uses a specific grade of oil for their transmissions and usualy they change once every 2 years or 45000 miles. And remember that toyota trnsmissions usualy come with a life time transmission filter on most of the carolla and camrys, so you dont have to replace them. Along with the transmission there is a differential that needs to be serviced and only toyota delers do a better job or trained to service them.

Once every 100,000 miles i suggest you do a complete FLUSH & FILL, and again do this only in a toyota dealer ship, this will save you from a lot of other problems.

Reply to
kdv

How much did you pay for your 2002 Toyota? How do you figure $5 per quart is too much to keep the transmission healthy? How much does a new transmission cost? How long do you want yours to last?

If your transmission calls for Type IV fluid, you're looking at something fairly new. Aftermarket fluids will probably become available later, but just as with many aftermarket alternates, it pays to be very careful about differences in quality also. Plus, it never hurts to politely ask if they can do any better on the price. No guarantees, but once felt really stuck being asked to pay something like $28 for a quart of Mercedes Benz proprietary limited slip differential oil, and the parts guy took pity on me and reduced the price.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Does anyone know if the transmission filter for Toyota Camry 2002 is a screen or a paper filter?

If it is a screen, then according to the other posts, it does not need to be replaced. However, if it is a paper filter, then I would assume it should be replaced. Is that accurate?

Thanks

Reply to
Raj