Toyota Camry 92 LE Problem With Engine Temperature?????? Please Help

Hi. When I drived my car. The temperature needle of orthometer sometimes goes up.Uasually it stays at the bottom. So I am not sure it's the sensor problem or not. Please tell me what's wrong with it and what to do? Thanks

Reply to
DnL

Try replacing the thermostat. It can fail stuck in the open position.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Check Thermostat and Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. When engine temperature is low, ECT resistance is high.

The ECT sensor is critical to many functions, examples are:

1) EGR is inhibited if coolant temperature is below a specified level (typically around 130F) 2) ECU prevents the transmission from upshifting into OVERDRIVE and lock-up until the coolant has reached a predetermined temperature. (Varies from 122F to 162F depending on the transmission and vehicle model.) Some models would cancel upshifts to third gear at lower temperatures.

Reply to
IceMan

A related question.

On a 93 4cyl a service advisor at Toyota dealership yesterday told me that a switch that sends hot water to the heater core was broken and the heat would be slow in coming. The car never had enough heat to want to start the blower this winter but I didn't pay much attention to it as it's been very cold here. Temp guage seems to be O.K. maybe a little slow in warming up but may be due to radiator replacement last winter. Does the fact that this switch is broken (I think he said broken off) mean that there is a possibility of a radiator leak? I was told no. The repair was quite expensive so I passed.

Thanks

Reply to
Marc

I think you are referring to water inlet pipe and unit to the engine where radiator upper hose connects. That is where water distributes 1) from Engine; 2) to IAC Valve & Oil Cooler; 3) to Heater core; 4) back to radiator.

Leaking should be visible if there is any.

Reply to
IceMan

They said that the problem was seen when the car was on the lift. I image that they would have said that they saw it while changing the valve cover gasket instead if it was near the top. They were quick to say that the only problem would be that the heater core would be slow in warming up. I didn't question them further. I haven't see any leakage and with the snow on the ground I would have seen that right away.

Marc

Reply to
Marc