toyota dashboard lights dimming

I have a XLE 2004 Camry. I just bought a new battery thinking the dashboard would be brighter--the way it used to be. I only have the dealer service my car since I bought it. After going back 3 times complaining that the dashboard lights are getting dimmer and the little thumbnail wheel does nothing anymore, I was told that is the way it is. I have had the car for 10 years and the thumbnail wheel used to work. Where can I go to have this fixed. I only have

29,000 miles on the car and it looks like new.. Your help will be appreciated. snipped-for-privacy@att.net
Reply to
JOAN VS

any competent repair facility can troubleshoot and fix that. It may be expensive, though, depending on whether just the dimmer switch or the whole panel cluster, or a wiring issue, is the root of the problem.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Hi GeeDubya,

Thanks for your response. I thought Toyota themselves would know what to do. Perhaps they think it is not worth the effort and the money. My clock and radio are lit fine. When I go into the garage, I used to have to turn the thumbnail wheel down--it was so bright. I wonder whether it would be worth the time for a facility to just check the dimmer switch. Joan

Reply to
JOAN VS

I can't speak to competency or attitude of a dealership I don't know but usually it's a communication issue. If the vehicle has an appointment SPECIFICALLY FOR THE PROBLEM of "customer cannot adjust brightness of gages" then they will assign someone to it who can figure that out.

As opposed to having the car there for 20 different things, or just "a service", and asking them to "check that too".

And don't confuse service writers with, "I did this, I did that, blah blah blah, I used to do this blah blah blah, I was here before, I bought a battery....".

Tell them "I cannot adjust the brightness of the gages...the dimmer does nor work" and make them write it on the service order.

Good technicians love to solve problems, the service writer is usually the weak link in the process, although customers who tell their life story, instead of just stating "function ABC of the car does not work" compound the issue.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Hi GW,

Thank you for your keen mind. We women usually think that mechanics take advantage of us, but perhaps we don't always make it clear as to the problem. You are GOOD. I will try and stick to the problem and see if I can get this dashboard dimming problem solved. More later, but in the meantime, thanks so much. Joan

Reply to
JOAN VS