Toyota Quality ?

I have owned over seventy new automobiles in my 78 years, many of them Toyotas, since my first Toyepet. I sold hundreds of new Toyotas when I was in retail and I have seen thousands of maintenance and service records of Toyotas, as well as many other brands, since I built up my fleet service business, and since I sold it, on which to base my opinion. How many have you owned three, six, ten? Seems to me you're the one trolling with your limited automotive experience. DIZZY.

mike hunt

dizzy wrote:

Toyotas so called superiority has always been more a thing of myth than fact. However it would be wrong to conclude that all Toyotas are going to be problematic simply because the one you bought has had problems. Many buyers make the mistake of judging all of a manufactures products, good or bad, on the one they once owned. Toyota like every other manufacture builds some that are not up to their expected quality standards on occasion. When Toyotas were selling in small numbers the defective ones were small in number as well. Now that they are selling in the hundreds of thousands one can expect to see more of the defective ones emerging. From what we see in our business there is little difference among manufactures is overall quality. They all breakdown that is why they all have a warranty. The only real difference we see in our business, servicing large fleets of vehicles of all types and brands, is style and price. Look at the Vibe/Matrix pair. People buy the Toyota at a much higher price thinking they are getting a better car when in reality they are the same vehicle. According to 'Automotive News,' content wise the Vibe MSRP is about $1,500 cheaper. In addition Pontiac offers a $2,000 rebate as well as ZERO interest. Toyota offers a $400 rebate and 2.9% interest. Why would any astute buyer buy the Toyota version for over $5,000 more? Go figure

Reply to
IleneDover

I love Toyota (I own two of them) but they aren't the best car maker. I would have to give that honor to Volvo.

--
Sean Elkins      RKBA

Being a talented actor or musician doesn't make some
drop-out's political ideas more valuable or enlightened
than mine.
Sean Elkins

"Philip®" spake unto the masses in news:SuBjc.15275$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That email address may be bogus. Look at the headers, which I think are forged:

UTC time offset is incorrect. Should be -0500, not -0000.

-0500 is Eastern US/Canada time. -0000 is British time.

A server at Syracuse University in NY is listed in the path. That server is a mail exchanger for Syracuse U. It does not respond to external NNTP requests, but may have NNTP capability within SU's network.

The NNTP Posting Host IP address (the actual machine from which the message was supposedly sent) is given as 142.76.1.62.

A whois shows that address to belong to Sunnybrook Womens' Hospital in Toronto, Ontario.

It is impossible to say with certainty where that message came from.

--
TeGGeR®

How to find anything on the Internet or in Usenet Groups:
www.google.com
www.groups.google.com
Reply to
Tegger®

How has the condensor failed? Normally condensors fail because they get hit by something like a rock flying up off a truck or similar. If this is the case then you can't really blame Toyota.

The receiver should be replaced any time the system is opened. The receiver also serves the purpose of dryer. If the dryer gets saturated you can have moisture freeze in the system and stop cooling. Moisture will also react with the oil in the system and create compressor killing sludge. If you found an a/c shop that said they didn't need to replace it I would keep shopping for a/c shops.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

You don't get it, do you, "Mike Hunt"? Nothing you say has any credibility. You are a proven idiot and fool, as your repeated statements that all brands are the same "except price and style" proves.

Historically, Toyota's are better-engineered, better-built, and more reliable than the Domestic equivalents, and only a lying fool would argue otherwise.

Reply to
dizzy

Yup. After my last post, I did some sleuthing myself.

It's a troll. Nothing more.

I hope Chrysler isn't paying this shill too much. He isn't very good at what he does.

------------------------------------------------- "I wish they had a delete button on Lexis-Nexis." - John F. Kerry

Reply to
Eric Dreher

this is corny but -- My first Toyaot was a 78 Tercel basic model . It was an eye opener to one used to Detroit vehicles. From that vehicle I was hooked. My latest is a 91 Camry 4cyl. It was delivered without blemish or fault and has never been to a mechanic for anything. Of course I replace expendables but only tires, batteries plugs and filters. Also the vehicle came with oil changes and same-time washes for life included in the price $13,500.

The car runs like the day I drove it out of the dealership. The water beads up when it is wet and it shines and looks like new. It has only rarely delivered less than 27 mph in town, the figure given for country driving. In the country it delivers 30-34 mpg.

Detroit STILL can't come close though I wonder of the proper word is "can't" or "won't."

Our focus in this country seems to have gone from building better mouse traps to foreign wars under the quise of "defense." I don't know if it is too late for us to get back to our roots when we were a model nation but .... Blue

It

have

Reply to
Blue

I think you missed the point he was trying to make, that is he believes Toyotas are good enough that they could offer a 100K warranty. Makes sense to me, any manufacture that is willing to give a longer warranty must believe that their products will meet the task. No manufacture is in business to lose money on warranty work. After all many manufactures luxury brands offer higher warranties than on their lessor models even though they are the same basic vehicle, like those of Honda and Toyota and Nissan. Personally we see lots of Focus' Hyundai's and Corollas in courier service easily running over 100K, in less than a year, that have proven to be trouble free with few warranty claims.

mike hunt

"Philip" wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

Perhaps in the opinion of individuals, but that is not the case with those of us that service thousands of vehicles. There is little difference from one manufacture to the other in general over the life of the vehicle. The only real difference is style and price but it's you money spend it were you wish, I know I do.

mike hunt

"S. Anders>

Reply to
IleneDover

wrote in rec.autos.tech

Actually, the only point he was trying to make was the one on his head. He was most likely a 14 yr old with too much free time, and no knowledge of cars. All he wanted to do was to create a bit of garbage on the newsgroup. His daddy probably drives a Chrysler New Yorker and his mommy a Dodge Caravan.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

As in "receiver-dryer", also known as "filter-dryer", functionally equivalent to a variant of the concept known as "accumulator". It catches and sequesters moisture in the A/C system so it cannot circulate and react with the refrigerant and the metal components to form corrosive compounds that detroy expensive components. It also filters the refrigerant so any errant floaters do not reach and damage the compressor or clog the orifice or expansion valve. The receiver-filter-dryer-accumulator MUST be replaced each and every time the A/C system is opened -- the desiccant saturates within minutes of being exposed to ambient atmosphere in any but the most highly arid climates.

If the original poster was for real, which I doubt, and he actually found a "mechanic" who would replace the condenser without replacing the receiver (dryer etc.), he's buying himself further A/C woes.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I bought a Dodge Durango in 1998. It was in the shop 0 times. At the very end, before I traded it in, in 2003, I started to notice the tranny slip. I was not sure, but I wanted to be safe and traded it in on a 2003 4 runner. Since I bought the Toyota, I was in the shop 5 times with it. 2 times for rattling noizes, once because the windshield wipers stopped working, , once because the window was cracked (from the factory - small crack that was noticed 2 days after and the dealer acknowledged 2 other 4 runners with the same exact crack). So far the 4 runner has been great mechanically (except for the damn sulfur smell when you step on it, but everyone is blaming the gas companies on that one).

Reply to
Dan J. S.

The big 3 are not up to Honda and Toyota reliability yet but they are getting darn close and many Toyota's of recent vintage have been plagued by annoying creaks and rattles.

Reply to
Art

The big 3 are improving. Check the Mexican built Chrysler PT Cruiser. Consumer Reports survey shows it is as reliable as Honda and Toyota.

Reply to
Art

If they didn't have the receiver in the system to act as a storage tank, they would be balancing a very fine line between undercharging the system (no cooling) and overcharging the system and flooding the condenser coil with liquid refrigerant, meaning there would be no room left in the coils to cool off the hot gas refrigerant coming out of the compressor. The receiver gives them a storage tank for a pound or so of liquid refrigerant, which should last at least 2 or 3 years (hopefully 5 to 10) between service visits before the system leaks and gets low.

And the receiver/drier also has a filter (or at least a screen) for getting dirt and wear contaminants out of the refrigerant, and a bag of silica gel or other dessicant to absorb any moisture that may have gotten in and didn't get sucked out by pulling a vacuum before charging with refrigerant.

The silica gel doesn't have much water capacity (just a few drops) and can't be dried out in place, so the whole receiver/drier unit needs to be replaced whenever the system has leaked down to zero or been open to the atmosphere (broken line) for any length of time. Luckily, they are not expensive.

-->--

--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Hyundai and Kia make good cars, but *terrible* engines.

Look at the HP versus displacement compared to gas mileage. They are worse than most 80's cars - just horrible mileage compared to the competition.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If their cars are THAT reliable, why not just increase the warranty for marketing purposes?

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

They last about as long as a Dodge tansmission.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Japanese manufacturers have tried long than standard warranties in the past and it bit them in the ass. Almost put Yamaha out of business. Honda was replacing corroded parts on east coast cars that would have been headed for the scrap yard had they not still been under warranty. Time will tell Hyundai comes out ahead.

--
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Phillipo

And it covers practically nothing that goes on those things after

60,000.
--