Toyota quality

It's what you have to do to American (Union built) cars...

--

-Jim ©¿©¬

If you want to reply by email its --> ryan at jimryan dot com Please use BCC and lets all avoid spam

Reply to
jtpr

Well.... FUNNY you should bring up that specific comparison. I DID discuss figures at Pontiac dealer in east Los Angeles and a Toyota dealer in the same area. This was back in August of 2002. My drive home price for a Matrix was about $200 difference. Both quotes were for a cash deal. Ultimately, I bought the Corolla because I didn't like the driving feel of either Matrix or Vibe and I saw right away the silly instrumentation was NOT for me.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
Philip®

It makes sense that there are Toyotas in a salvage yard, because these cars need to go somewhere. The thing is, when you have a Toyota, you can keep it longer trouble free and not have the issues you would with a domestic.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I have no reason not to believe your figures. You most likely resisted the smoke and mirrors add on that Toyota dealer are noted for. Generally it is closer too $1,200 on a cash deal. Thousands higher if the vehicle is financed. Zero interest on the VIBE versus 3.9% on the Matrix, higher for contracts over 36 months.

mike hunt

"Philip" wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

You forgot to say, in my opinion, since many domestic last a long time as well. I see a lot more old domestics, from the sixties and seventies, driving around than Toyotas from the same time period

mike hunt

"Dan JCS." wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Weren't there a lot more domestics made in the 60s and 70s than Toyotas imported? In my opinion.

Bearman

cars

it

Reply to
bearman

That is one thing that Japanese will never do, is have a following for some older vehicle. Even restoring it, etc. I am just saying that if you take a domestic and a Japanese over 10 years, the domestic will have more problems.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

In your opinion, that may be. My post is not my opinion but rather it is based on what I see in the current service records from our business on thousand of all brands of vehicles. There is little difference today, if any, among brands as to longevity when they are properly serviced and maintained. Even if what you believe were true most new vehicle buyers replace their vehicle in three to four years with less than 80K on the clock. Even if one is the type to keep a vehicle for ten year or more, is it worth it to have a car last a bit longer if the insurance cost is 20% higher for those ten years because of the price of crash parts? Is it worth it to have to replace an alternator at 120K rather than 100K, if the later is $90 less expensive and you sell the car at 150K? A more important consideration to a buyer should be the overall cost of accusation, insurance, operation, maintenance, repair parts and vehicle replacement. In that respect Toyota, or any Japanese brand for that matter, is not even close to the domestic brands and that was the point I was trying to make. Among the Japanese brands Honda does much better than Toyota.

mike hunt

"Dan JCS." wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

There's a guy in town that has a '67 Corolla wagon, from Japan, RHD! Iwould kill to get my hands on it.

Needs some body work, but runs well.

Here in the great Northeast, you don't see a lot of older Toy's because of the rust problem. Also, Toyota was slow in coming to this area, and didn't sell a lot in the early years. A lot of people around here just wouldn't have them....liked the bigger domestics.

Reply to
HachiRoku

Ummm, 1967-68 Toyota 2000GT? Commanding prices of a quarter mil + up...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Wrong, idiot. There's huge differences in the quality of design and engineering, even when comparing cars of similar prices.

Reply to
dizzy

How does the lack of Japanese cars account for all of the German a British cars in the northeast alongside domestics? They even have all British car shows. I never heard of a Japanese car show. I attend car shows all over the country, showing my old cars, and one rarely if ever sees a Japanese car from the sixties and seventies, except for a Z or a RX7 on occasion I even see many Italian cars. the Jap cars didn't rust as quickly as Italian cars and they sure didn't sell many of them either. ;)

mike hunt

HachiRoku wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

In your dreams maybe. The sport car list of the NADA Guide says, $130,400 is the highest price ever paid for one in concurs condition. I have never seen one, or any other Japanese car, at any concours event. I've seen several Stanley Steamers however ;)

mike hunt

HachiRoku wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Specifically, what huge differences in design and engineering are you talking about?

Reply to
Steve

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:34:03 -0700, "Steve" top posted:

The suspension design and quality is an easy place to find differences. Get down on your hand and knees to check them all out.

Reply to
dizzy

And YOU forgot to mention the relative population difference of domestics vs. Toyotas during the '60's and 70's.

--

- Philip

"The ONLY good Ford is a Ford still on Warranty or an old Ford restored"

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
Philip®

OK, I'll take a close look underneath but help us out here. What exact design and quality differences are you talking about?

Reply to
Steve

I have a '99 Dodge Cummins Diesel and even after 15,000km the oil comes out relativly clean. Its not all diesels that blacken oil, just the bad ones!

Reply to
Richard B

I hate arguing, but I saw one in a museum at one time that sold for $275,000...

Reply to
HachiRoku

Yeah, but you're probably comparing Alfas and BMW's. Jap cars certainly don't command the snob appeal that the europeons do. Only nuts like me drool over 1971 Datsun Pickups and pass our noses at a '74 2002! (wish I had ny college roomate's '74...had to get rid of it...he couldn't afford to reapir it, and it was only 3 years old!)

What did the '71 Celica have? It was basically a Corona with a sporty body. The Mark II was a cool car if you liked them.

The exceptions are the FJ40's and 60's. Decent examples are selling for $3500 and up (well up!)

But hey, I go gaga over geeky looking girls, too....

Reply to
HachiRoku