Toyota Repair Manual any good?

I've been trying to find a Chilton or Haynes manual for my 2003 Camry. The bookstore tells me there are none, I am also not finding one via a web search.

So, unless I missed it, there are not out yet. I was thinking of getting the "official" toyota repair manual that they tout in the back of the owner's manual.....anyone know how the toyota manual compares with the Haynes or Chiltons?

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

The Toyota manual is VERY detailed but rather costly. Essentially, if you want to do simple things like oil changes or modest repairs, the Chilton or Hayes would be sufficient. If you want to perform more advance repairs (timing belts, pin diagrams and voltage measures for electronics, etc.), then the Toyota manuals would be highly recommended. I believe the Toyota manuals are 2 binders or 2 volumes and in Toronto, Canada, they retailed for about $250.

Reply to
Car Guy

You need a Chilton's or Hayes manual to change the oil?

Reply to
Mark A

Some people would like to have information on steps to perform oil changes, transmission fluid changes, etc.

Reply to
Car Guy

Original poster here again. Don't be getting too snooty about oil changes, etc. Some 25 or 30 years ago I was a young teen who had NO idea how to change tires, oil, tranny fluid, etc. I latched onto a $7 Chilton's manual and lo and behold, I was able to change the oil in my car. Progressed to tranny fluid, then swapping out the shocks. Soon, it was a generator, the radiator, the water pump, the thermostat, etc.

In other words, all of us have to start somewhere and I may had never done anything more complicated than putting gas in my car if it had not been for that original Chiltons.

Now, I really don't have the time, nor with the advent of the new cars with all the computerized electronic gizmos, etc., I have to say that the work I do on my newer cars is extremley limited. I really am not going to get into complicated procedures, so it seems foolish to spend the extra $$$ for the official Toyota manual in MY situation. Of course, for you others, it makes perfect sense to get the Toyota book.

Guess I'll wait a few months for Chilton or Haynes to come through. tim

Reply to
Tim J. Johson

Tim J. Johson wrote: : I've been trying to find a Chilton or Haynes manual for my 2003 Camry. : The bookstore tells me there are none, I am also not finding one via a : web search.

I asked for the same on one of my cars. I was told that typically, a car needs to be in production for 2-3 years before Chilton or Haynes will make a manual on them.

I usually get the factory shop manuals on my cars. The Toyota ones cost around 80 or 90 dollars (the last time I got one).

Not only do I use them for repair but also to determine whether or not I want to do a repair and how complex the repair would be (as a basis for estimating cost of the repair).

If I'm going to keep the car (and I keep Toyotas for over 200,000 miles) getting a factory manual is worth it for me.

b.

Reply to
<barry

The factory manuals are excellent, but very expensive. Usually they are available on ebay for less than $100. Search for "Camry manual". I just did and found a set already in demand well above $100:

I had an initial problem with my fuel system on my new 2003 Camry. It stalled whenever I filled the tank and the dealer was telling me not to fill the tank so full etc (not a solution in my mind). I got my factory manual out, analyzed the problem took in the analysis, told demanded a check valve be replaced that took care of the problem.

So even if you d>I've been trying to find a Chilton or Haynes manual for my 2003 Camry.

Reply to
Rick