Toyota to recall 600,000 Sienna minivans

Yeah, another Toyota recall.

"Toyota said today it was recalling 600,000 Sienna minivans to inspect for rust in the cable that holds the spare tire, adding to the more than 6 million vehicles already under recall by the automaker this year.

Toyota said it does not yet have a fix for the problem, which is likely confined to 20 cold-weather states, including Michigan, which use road salt in winter. Owners in other states can have their vans inspected for the problem.

john

If the gummint dived into GM vehicles the way Toyota is being persecuted.....GM would cease to exist.

Reply to
Wayne

The Government *owns* GM. Toyota is the biggest competitor. Lahood is an ex UAW union dog. No rocket science involved

Reply to
Hachiroku

Yeah... it's all a government conspiracy.

Reply to
me

- No, but that's the way the government approaches problems. When you get on the government's radar, you are in trouble until the government gets distracted to something else. Realistically, Toyota cars are pretty damned good. It is not likely that any other car manufacturer would do as well as Toyota under the current scrutiny.

However, all this micromanagement by the government is going to get Toyota to produce a much better product, and Toyota will really kick ass in the future.

Reply to
Wayne

Yes, when you piss off the NHTSA they start to look at all you are doing. Toyota has lots of dirty laundry.

I don't know that the second part of that is true. Some manufacturers are very cautious with safety issues and very generous with repairs when they see a major issue. Toyota is obviously not the only one who hides problems though.

Maybe. I question whether a company with this embedded corporate and cultural attitude can ever change. See my post on their actions way back in 1986 when they were already like this - but it just didn't hit the level of widespread deaths so there wasn't an uproar. Large companies with longstanding company cultures don't change very fast and when you add in the "people culture" issue, I don't really know that they'll ever change.

But, at this point all they produce are a bunch of boring econoboxes and sedans, so who really cares. If they bring back the rumored Supra, maybe import the Aygo to the USA, or perhaps follow through on the Subarota, they might gain some interest. They really should bring back the 2000GT as a retro, but they don't seem to have much imagination in management these days.

Reply to
me

me wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There *are* problems with Toyota's upper management and the same ones exist within Honda IMHO. If you want proof, look up what happened last year in Formula one and How Toyota's done in F1 for their period in it. These probably don't have any affect on their road cars per se, but certainly would have an affect on any response to such actions by the US Govt.

Reply to
chuckcar

No fix for the problem? Really? Simply switching to a non-stainless- steel cable should do it...?! Or hey, just coat the cable with epoxy or something...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

About the way it'll play out. I can't wait to get a 2014 Scion!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why wait till 2014? :)

Reply to
Wayne

om...

I thought this number makes more sense.

Reply to
TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with

Gonna take them about that to re-engineer and get the goodies out.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Perhaps. But I bought a 2010 RX-350 with no hesitation, and it appears to be the best car I have ever owned. My comparison vehicle is a 1999 RX-300 that only had a burned out brake light in 95000 miles of driving. I don't see a reason to wait on buying a Toyota product.

Reply to
Wayne

The fix is pretty simple; an annual inspection and grease applied to the cable. My 1998 Sienna, as well as LOTS of other vehicles on the road, used a similar cable system. Every year, when I checked the spare tire, I'd also grease the cable.

But there are LOTS of other vehicles out there using a similar cable for the spare. Only Toyota cables rust?

Reply to
ACAR

Toyota is not unique in having problems with these spare tire cables. I am pretty sure Chrysler, Ford, and GM have had complaints related to these spare tire cables failing and dropping spare tires on the road (although they apparently have not recalled anything for this problem). Heck, Toyota had the problem with Tundras too.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The fix is pretty simple; an annual inspection and grease applied to the cable. My 1998 Sienna, as well as LOTS of other vehicles on the road, used a similar cable system. Every year, when I checked the spare tire, I'd also grease the cable.

But there are LOTS of other vehicles out there using a similar cable for the spare. Only Toyota cables rust?

*************** Nope....same problem on lots of other brands. But Toyota is the current pinata being beaten.
Reply to
Wayne

Except that they did the recall themselves, they were NOT ordered to do it, so your whine doesn't hold water.

Reply to
me

- I'm not following your response. Are you saying that spare cables rust ONLY on Toyota vehicles, or are you saying that Toyota is not being beaten like a pinata?

Reply to
Wayne
7:29:54 -0700, "Wayne"

Lately it seems Toyota is being beaten like a pinata.

As far as I know these spare tire cables have a significant failure rate no matter who uses them. I have to wonder if maybe becasue of some unmentioned factor(s), Siennas have an unusally severe problem with cable failure. Maybe the location of the cable, or the design of the underside of the van exposes the cable to more salt than tpyical for other vehicles using cables. I've never had a cable fail, but I did have the cable winding mechanism jam on an older Ford. I prefer the style of spare tire carrier that uses a metal frame that you tilt down to remove the tire. On the other hand, I so rarely need to use a spare, I almost don't care if I have one.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I'm saying that you're moaning about Toyota being a pinata - but in this case they did the recall of their own accord. No one ordered them to do it. The pinata whine doesn't hold water.

Reply to
me