Toyota TSB - Why don't dealers contact customers of affected vehicles?

I am new to TSBs. Is there a place or site to get the entire TSB for free or is the summary (which often isn't much) all that can be obtained for free? And does the presence of a TSB necessarily mean that the dealer will repair the problem free of charge if the car is under warranty? I have several issues with my 2002 Camry that seem to be covered by TSBs but the summaries are so brief that I can't be sure. Would it be worth paying AllData for the full version prior to visiting the dealer or should I just tell the dealer that I am aware the TSB #NNNNNN exists and seems to apply to the problem?

Thanks Marc

Reply to
Marcus

If you have a mechanical problem, TSB or not, it should be covered under warranty. If the vehicle is not under warranty, a TSB might help you negotiate with the manufacturer. Don't know if it's worth paying for full versions of the TSB. IT's really up to you. The summaries on

may be enough to coax a dealer into letting you see one. I think a good dealer would let you see any TSB you are aware of, even if you don't buy a Lexus.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Work. I'm a traffic signal tech, and occasionally work out of state. Last month I had two trips to Salt Lake and three to the bay area.

I generally average about 500/wk, but there's enough long trips in there to bring the annual up to the ballpark of 40k.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rich Lockyer being of bellicose mind posted:

Hey.... in my city we went thru the big upgrade to LED traffic lights

2 years ago. BUT, the city has seen fit to not retrofit a few locations apparently to keep a couple of guys busy. I mean, a burned out light bulb exists every month at these locations. What am I missing?
Reply to
Philip ®

Everybody did. A lot of cities couldn't afford the complete retrofit so they only did red, or red and green.

Every month? Sounds like someone figured out the secret to job security. Duro-Test bulbs will last 2 years minimum, and even the basic Philips/Sylvania/GE bulbs are good for at least a year.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Rich Lockyer being of bellicose mind posted:

My city initially retro'd all red and green lights that were not dedicated arrows. About 6-9 months later, most of the arrows got upgraded .... but not all, and these are the ones that keep burning out. I pay attention to this stuff because I pass thru two of these locations every day. I have the city's Traffic Signal Maintenance on my cell's speed dial. LOL

I believe you are right! I should ask if there is a Union involved. LOL

Reply to
Philip ®

Toyota service isn't quite as good as Lexus service . In my experience , when you need a warranty repair on your Toyota ( rare , but it happens ) you almost have to beg the dealership to get the repair done..... -Dana

Reply to
Dana

My dealership has been great. Show them the TSB, tell them the problem you had and they fix it.

Reply to
Car Guy

Its a union thing Philip! ;-)

Reply to
MDT Tech®

And in an area where electricity can be in short supply, the LED's are not a bad idea!

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Got 'em down to under 10% of the power draw of an incandescent. A 12" red indication draws about 10 watts. Green and yellow draw a but more. An 8" indication is down at 8 watts.

Incandescent is 69 watts and 130 watts.

I've also installed a lot of battery backup systems that will keep a

100% LED intersection running for about 4 hours with no power... 8 hours in flash.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Hello again,

I see the TSB's listed at alldata, but where is the text?

Thanks,

Rich

Reply to
RTL

thats the free part, you pay to see the rest.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I purchased a 2003 explorer in December 2002 and am having the "Steering shudder or vibration at low speed or stop" problem. The vehicle has been in the shop four times. On the first occasion, the dealership replaced the steering rack. On all subsequent trips, they have bled the system, called in the Ford FSE, and finally stated that all of them do it. The problem is that, depending on the surface, my steering can go from a mild shudder to a vibration that literally shakes your teeth. I have been through the lemon law procedures up to the arbitration and plan to follow through with that, but it appears Ford is unwilling to do anything about it until they absolutely have to. The local service manager has stated without hesitation that he believes it is an "engineering problem" but is powerless to do anything about it. No one has acknowledged the existence of a TSB.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? How do I get a copy of the TSB Thanks

Reply to
ITguy

Maybe buy a Toyota next time?

Most of us ex Ford drivers over here in Toyota land are happy with our switch from Fix Or Repair Daily.

Some of us are unhappy cause we found a dash that is not exactly straight, but that person would be unhappy with a Rolls

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Fla

ITguy

I miswrote the steering shutter thing - the TSB applies to the 2001-2003 Explorer Sport and the 2001-2004 Explorer Sport Trac. If you want to see the TSB, got to any Ford dealer and ask to see: 03-19-12. I don't think they'd have any problem showing it to you. Please post back if you encounter a problem. Has you posted this on the Ford Explorer newsgroup?

Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

For all those looking for TSB's check out

Jeff Woodhouse

Thanks for posting this. As a Gen 4 Camry owner, it helped.

Reply to
Sharxster