Toyota vibrates and shakes at 40-55mph

1994 Toy camry - 88,000mls. car shakes and vibrates at speeds of 40-55mph. changed all four tires, balanced and aligned. can anyone tell me what's wrong?
Reply to
gouyave

========== Check the motor mounts. Others have reported discovering this type of vibration from worn engine supports. Seems to be no consensus about just how to check them though. Fluid filled main mounts don't appear to give visible clues, but if the upper "dog bone" mount is worn, that can be an indication that the others have been placed under additional stress and are also suspect.

Reply to
Daniel

Could be a bent axel or CV joint, Even new tires can have issues There is a machne that balances tires to simulate road force, Talk to your tire guy and a few others to rule out tires, rims and axel or CV joint. I have heard of new tires being bad, and one pot hole can be all it takes to ruin a tire.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had the same car and developed the same shake around the same mileage at slightly less speeds. I spent lots of money and time trying to get it fixed. It finally got sold at 166,000 miles and I never completely eliminated the wobbling, although it had been reduced quite a bit.

These are the things I did: New tires twice (no change), balance several times (no change), alignment twice (no change), front motor mount (biggest effect), rear motor mount (small effect), dogbone mount twice (small effect), left axle once (no change).

The car was put on a lift once and watched from underneath as someone ran the drivetrain and we noticed some wobbling in the right axle at the (center?) joint. The mechanic claimed that couldn't cause the wobbling but I remained suspicious of it. The transmission was not suspected since the wobbling remained when the car was put into Neutral. The suspension parts were never changed and they may have been at fault also.

Good luck diagnosing it and I would be interested to hear what you find out.

Reply to
badgolferman

Have you checked the wheel bearings?

"gouyave" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Camry_guy

Thanks for all the help. Problem found and fixed: Bent axle.

Reply to
gouyave

Which one and where along the axle?

Reply to
badgolferman

As far as I know all Camry shakes a little at 40~45mph - It is normal experience feedback by camry owners . A mechanic at speedworks believe it due to a unbalance pair of drive shaft . It gets worst as wear and tear sets in . Brand new car - you will not probably not notice it .Tough luck

- go and get a new Camry . Note - do not pock your finger if you notice any discoloration mark on the radiator tank it will crack after 4 years -

Reply to
EricSee

Pardon me, but I think that's silly. Don't all front wheel drive vehicles have longer drive shaft on one side than the other? What about all other Camrys that don't develop this shaking syndrome?

Reply to
badgolferman

I have a story. My 90 Stanza had a vibration at about the same speed. I took it to BJ's wholesale in Ma for balancing of all 4 tires. They did so, or at least I thought they did.

Still vibrated

Went through the exercise of removing the front tire to see if the axles vibrated, they didn't. Rotated tires from rear to front. Front tire would now vibrate. Good, found something wrong. Took car back for re balancing of tires. They did so or at least told me they did so.

Still vibrated.

Checked rims for out of round. Found suspicious one. replaced rim had tire balanced.

still vibrated.

This time removed each wheel one at a time and replaced it with the spare. Found one wheel which vibrated. Took all weights of and took car back for re balancing. All 4 wheels were removed and re balanced. Or at lease this is what they said.

Still vibrated.

Noticed that my suspect tire had No weights on it.

Went back to BJ and said I was willing to bet $50 they did not balance the tire.

This time I watched and sure enough they added weights.

NO VIBRATION.

This entire sequence took me over 1 year to complete.

My conclusion is ; Don't trust someone who says the tires are balanced. The service manager said to remove all the weights before taking a car in for re balancing. Difficult if the weights are on the inside.

And keep trying

Dan

Reply to
Dan