Trailer wiring/Hitch

Most web sites recommend a "powered tail light converter" when installing trailer light wiring on a 2002 Camry. Is this necessary?

I have a converter left over from an earlier car. Will I be runnung the risk of "blowing" something electrically by not isolating the trailer ckt from the car? I guess i just figured if something went wrong the fuse in the tailight ckt would blow and protect the rest of the ckts.

Also any recommendation for a hitch? I'll be towing a small utility trailer ....max 1,000 - 1500 lbs.

Thanks Foster

Reply to
AFS