Transmission Chatter 1993 V6 Automatic

I just noticed today that when backing up, the transmission seems to chatter a bit when first starting backward. If I firmly apply the brakes and apply moderate throttle there is no slippage. Only when the vehicle is allowed to move. Forward operation is normal.

I'm the original owner with 90k easy miles; the fluid has been changed a couple of times...and appears a bit "grey" now...not the light red color of new fluid....but doesn't look bad either.

Any suggestions or comments? I imagine that the dealer will say that it's nothing that a new transmission won't fix :)

Thanks for reading, Chuck

Besides checking the level and condition of the ATF, which is the first thing to do when looking at transmission problems, is to change the fluid and strainer. Use a new strainer and gasket as in the Fram ATF kit. Don't try to spray compressed air at it because that doesn't work. Have you ever changed the strainer?

You'll probably notice a lot of black shavings in the pan and coating on all the parts in side. That's why I would change the strainer at least every 24-30K miles. The Aisin is a very dirty transmission without a decent filtration system (so consider draining and refilling ATF and differential every 15K miles). The dirt leads to valve/piston wear/sticking and leads to sluggish ATF pressure rise, and accelerated clutch/brake band wear is the result.

Try changing the fluid, strainer and gasket first. Cost about $25 in parts. I wouldn't use a machine to flush the tranny before then.

If you are not mechanically inclined then you probably have capable friends who are willing to help. Otherwise a reputable independent mechanic is the choice. But with only drain and refill using the specified intervals, I'd say 120K miles is about rebuild time.

c wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

Hi,

Yes, I agreed the suggestion. The method mentioned below give a more clear environment for gear box fluid.

Platini ???????: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Platini Kwok (BestEngineering

Change the fluid and filter, or strainer as some call it, but it actualy filters. The color is bad so you realy have waited to long.

Reply to
m Ransley

All of the answers are correct. I would just like to suggest that after you filled the transmission with ATF, you have to slide your gearshift a number of times and check the level again. You want to circulate the ATF and fillout all the cavity inside.

Reply to
EdV

The grey color of the fluid is probably an indication of a failing clutch pac. Reverse takes the highest hydraulic pressure. When you increased the throttle before moving, you increased the hydraulic pressure somewhat as well which prevented you feeling the slippage. You can try a fluid and filter screen change, but at this point, you may need a rebuild. I would have a pressure test done ASAP after you change the fluid rather than continue to drive it. But then again, if it is too late, it won't matter all that much.

dave mc

Reply to
davemac