Transmission failure at 21,000 miles

While searching the internet for info I found your newsgroup and I'm hoping some of you can venture knowledgeable opinions on this failure.

Some background...We bought our 2000 Camry (4 cyl, A/T) in Sept, 2000 from our local dealer in Santa Rosa, CA. It was driven from another Northern Calif. dealership who had the right color, and we picked it up with 135 miles on the odometer. The car now has less than 21,000 miles on it, since my wife drives it mostly for local errands and its longest one-way journey has probably been 150 miles. I have always done my own minor auto maintenance and have watched fluid levels, etc. on this car. Car is always garaged at night & has never leaked a drop of fluid or motor oil on the floor. Fluid color and smell were as they should be. Fluid level has also always been right on. Because the Camry maintenance guide doesn't call for A/T fluid to be changed until at least 60,000 miles, the pan had never been off it since I owned it. We've had no problems of any sort with the car until a few weeks ago.

The problem...Just before Christmas, my wife found herself needing to rev the engine to 1500 RPM to get the car to move from a stop...very frustrating and a little scarey for her in downtown traffic. I did a test drive that night, suspected low fluid level, but that wasn't the problem. The next morning I couldn't even back it out of the garage and had it towed to a very reputable local transmission shop. They checked the easy stuff, then disassembled to where they could check the shift solenoids. Nothing showed up, so I OK'd removing the tranny and doing whatever was needed. Bottom line is that both the reverse and low gear clutch packs were burned up. The mechanic said that, typically, this would happen when fluid level got low. I told him it had never been low. He said then maybe when the fluid was changed. I said it never had been. He said well why did it have this cheap aftermarket cork gasket on it; factory pan installation uses a bead of silicone as a seal!

The puzzle...does anyone know for certain that the factory always used silicone seals on this vintage transmission? As an engineer I know that, statistically, if average transmission life is 200,000 mile, there will be a few that go 500,000 and a few that, because of unfortunate stackup of part tolerances, for example, might last only 20,000 miles. But in this case I think I smell a rat. The transmission had never behaved improperly until 24 hours before towing into the shop. Still unresolved is whether the torque converter contributed in any way. When the rebuilder cuts it open we'll find out whether anything had failed there.

I will appreciate any insights, suspicions or questions that might help me pursue solving this mystery. I doubt that I'll recover any of my $2900 loss, but I'm thinking someone was into that transmission before I ever got the "brand new" car.

Anyway, thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Cheers, Dave Burson

Reply to
Dave Burson

Contact Toyota. My wife has a 2000 Sienna Van (V-6 AT) and the transmission failed after 6 years and 70,000 miles, and Toyota paid ~$4,000 to fix it. The work was done by a Toyota dealer. The Service Writer said that Toyota had extended the warranty on this Transmission, due to problems with it. You may have the same Transmission. (let's hope!) If you can collect the $2,900 from Toyota, I suggest buying a Big Screen TV, with it!

Reply to
John Smith

================ On mine, there is FIPG material (RTV siliicone) on the oil pan, but the factory replacement original gasket for the transmission is cork. Although I have heard the black FIPG (form in place gasket) material can be used everywhere except for the transmission pan, where you need their FIPG red or orange color, so it is possible the sealant was used on later models.

Reply to
Daniel

John and Daniel,

Both replies give me something to take to a my dealer. Looks like the original dealership may have had the pan off for some reason. Some reseach suggests that the 6 cyl Sienna doesn't use the same tranny, but I think the extension of the warranty makes a good "talking point". Thanks very much to both of you.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Burson

That generation of Camrys with A140E do have cork gaskets from the factory. That dealer is clueless.

Some Aisin transmissions are known for sluggish line pressure rises. Soft shifts and therefore a lot of wear and tear happen. Burnt clutch packs and brake bands happen over a long period of time.

I'd replace the strainer and cork rubber gasket with a Fram ATF kit ($10-20) every 24-30K miles. Don't just try to clean the strainer in its casing, doesn't work well. Drain and refill both the ATF and differential every 12-15K miles in low miles city driving. That's 4-5 qts of Dexron III and about 30 minutes of your time if you are a home mechanic.

Aisin has its problems. But at least they don't skip gears like the

2007 U-series by the lowest bidder.

Dave Burs> While searching the internet for info I found your newsgroup and I'm hoping

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole

John,

If that was an original gasket I don't really have a case for someone having been into the transmission b4 I got it. I appreciate you replying to this dated post...obviously I've been watching for more advice. I will plan to change the fluid on a frequent schedule, despite what the manual says. There's too much at risk here.

Thanks very much, Dave Burson

Reply to
Dave Burson