Transmission Fluid

I have 2000 Toyota Carmy CE (55000 miles), I had tranmission flushed at

38000 miles (the work was done using T-tech machine which actually changed nearly most of the fluid in the system). At 53000 miles when I went for transmission drain and fill (as per the mechanic this only remoes 1/3rd of the oil in the system) the draining fluid was appearing blackish. I had him done the transmission drain and refill but now I am concerned, I checked the transmission fluid at 55000 miles after running the engine few minutes the color of fluid is grayish. car is running fine otherwise..

Does something wrong with the car?

Reply to
c_shah

Flushing machines can make problems by moving dirt to where it will settle and do damage, change your fluid again by draining. A off color is a bad sign of wear. Or if the trans cooler is in the radiator it could be leaking coolant into the trans, but this is just a guess and im not sure if it would contaminate it. Either way change it even a few times, was the filter replaced, you can cut it open to see if alot of contaminents are in it. The filters should stay clean only filtering minor contaminents.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks. One more thing I called my repair shop they told me they can do transmission service in which they will take out transmission pan, replace filter and change the fluid inside the pan. around $95 for that

Reply to
c_shah
95 is a bit high for a pan drop 65-70 is normal, have who ever does it keep the filter for you to cut open. Alot of wear particles mean it is about worn out.
Reply to
m Ransley

But for such a low mileage vehicle, would one expect this kind of wear???

Reply to
onehappymadman

I ruined a toy transmission by beating the car with low miles, but anything can happen.

Reply to
m Ransley

After 15000 miles, or rather 7500 miles, the ATF will appear dark. It's best to drain and refill at a shorter interval (7500) and replace the strainer/gasket every 15000. Like others said, the flushing machine can create problems elsewhere in the transmission. Camry's Aisin-Werner transmission is a low cost, mass produced transmission. As such, frequent drains, refills and strainer change will help prolong its service life but it won't last forever.

Sounds like you have never dropped the pan and clean off the sludge from the bottom of it. It's not a hard thing to do if you are a weekend mechanic. A Fram kit with cork rubber gasket costs about $10-17 (online or retail). Just draining and refilling is simpler than an oil change and costs about $3-4 in fluid. At that price, you can even do it with every oil change to keep the fluid looking fresh. Make sure you do the differential fluid (different plug) as well.

c_shah wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

I work as a Toyota tech, and have never changed a screen/filter on a Toyota. I would think that a colour off from pink/red is a sign of wear. I would recommend bringing it back in having it drained again while looking for metal slivers, and having it refilled. Toyota transmissions are usually bulletproof, and sweethearts.

Reply to
Bartramo25

So bart you never dropped a toy pan then either I take it. Nor have you then cleaned the magnets inside that are there to stop metal shavings from grinding a trans to shit, or seen a filter full of crap. Did you ever read a Toy manual, mine says Replace Trans fluid every 15000 miles if needed. What do you think those replaceable filters are for.

Reply to
m Ransley

yeah trans service every 15k is advisable. No never have had to clean magnets, or have dropped a pan. The drain plug is magnetic, and collects A LOT of the metal that is shed. I have read what is called TIS ( Toyota Information Service ) on our shop computer. I am sure there is a need for them, but like I said I haven't replaced one, and my parts guy says he has NEVER sold one, so no clue.

Reply to
Bartramo25

People learn to do their own car maintenance for many good reasons. It gets done, and gets done right.

Reply to
johngdole

IMHO, Toyotas have the worst reputation for the fluid APPEARING dirty, even on low mileage cars. I have no problems using a flush machine and in the 3 years our shop has used them we have had no problems. However we will not flush a car that has had no maintenance done in 100K. The first thing I did on our next to new camery was a flush. As far as Toyotas are concerned, I recommend a pan drop every other fluid change, and I prefer to change the fluid a bit more often than the manufacture schedule.

Reply to
Stephen H

I agree with changing often, it is easy to use the plug , pan drops , filter changes and magnet cleaning is a must , my last 2 camrys the trans was weak. Yea pay a mechanic and " get it done right" what BS.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ouch...

That could hurt; But I won't take it personally.

Reply to
Stephen H

Toyota helps the dealer make money. Therefore the less work they have to do the better ($$$$$ in pockets). So count on getting only the minimum level of work needed to take you through the warranty period without costing Toyota too much. But if the tranny is to last, much more frequent ATF changes, strainer change (not just cleaning), and pan/magnet cleaning really help.

Agree with Stephen that Toy trannys are very dirty. Probably the reason why no filter media (just a strainer) is used -- filter will plug up in no time. Modern transmissions are placing more and more demand on fluid filtration and it's approaching the level required of engine oils.

I dunno about paying a mechanic and get it done right. But I do it myself so I get it done right. Piece of cake.

Reply to
johngdole

The "Strainer" is a filter, it is just metal, and it cant be cleaned, dirt goes inside it. Paper would disintragrate and ruin the trans. The plug is there for a reason, quick, easy drains.

Reply to
m Ransley

I am not a transmission expert, but this was my experience:

1991 Camry, 4, 110,000, AT I got the car with 35,000 (wasn't mine at the time, it became mine at about 65,000). I don't think the transmission was ever serviced before. At about 50,000, the mechanic showed me how dirty was the ATF, and he drained/refiled twice. The prediction was that the trans was about to die.

Since then, the ATF always looked dark, no matter how frequently I changed the fluid. At about 70,000 the slipping between 1st and 2nd was bad. The mechanic (another one) already started to calculate how much it would cost me to get another one. I started draining the fluid with every oil change, because right after the fluid change the transition between 1st to 2nd gear was a bit smoother. At 93,000 another mechanic convinced me to flush. I hesitated due to warnings I read on this NG. After running the standard 12 quarts through it, the fluid coming out was still dark. It took 16 quarts to clean it. Afterwards the slipping was almost completely gone (I can still feel it when the engine is cold), and the fluid is not getting dark the way it used to be. I read all the theories in this NG about frequent refills, but it did not solve my problem and did not replace all the fluid (contrary to the multiple-drain/refill theoretical prediction). I should had flushed the tranny long time ago, I probably damaged it by having dirty fluid in it for more than 50,000 miles. Maybe flushing can be harmful, but it my case it was the proper solution.

Reply to
bauz

bauz, did you ever change the filter. With normal change intervals my 91 stays clean.

Reply to
m Ransley

No, I did not know much about car maintanance when I got the car, all I did was what the mechanic recommended. The filter was replaced only at

93,000. Prior to that, different mechanics told me that there is no point in replacing the filter. It is possible that replacing/cleaning the filter regularly (what would be the recommended interval?) could have resulted in significant improvement in my case. Nevertheless, I believe now that there is a huge difference between draining a small portion of the ATF with most of it trapped in the torque converter and other places, than running new fluid when all the parts are in motion and the fluid is flowing.
Reply to
bauz

You cant clean the filter, its enclosed, It helped me when my car would not shift. I think its recommended at 30-45000

Reply to
m Ransley