transmission fluid question

I have a toyota camry 1999 I wanted to replace the transmission fluid in my car. I called a car shop and they said there is no transmission gasket to be replaced when changing the oil. But, there is a filter that requires replacing. Is that true?

Does that all needs to be done when replacing the transmission fluid? Thank you

Reply to
rogv24

Call an auto store, im pretty sure a gasket comes with filters. I would not think anybody should reuse an old gasket, I would not.

Reply to
m Ransley

================ Sounds like you may have reversed this story. There's no filter, but there is a gasket. There is a strainer element which can be replaced, but according to Toyota, not required. Actually, you don't need to replace the gasket either unless it is leaking. There is a drain plug that can be removed to drain the fluid but you'll need to do this several times to get most of the old flulid out. Be careful when checking the level of the new fluid. Transmission has to be at full operating temperature, driven at least ten miles, before the final check, but not idling with A/C on in city traffic, or at prolonged high speed. Now if the fluid is old and deteriorated, it is a good idea to remove the pan, clean the stainer and replace the gasket. Be scrupulously clean. Even a tiny amount of lint from a rag can cause problems. You should clean the inside of the pan with solvent and then allow to air dry.

Reply to
Daniel

You can call it a strainer if you wish because it is metal, but it in fact filters to a specified micron level, if it clogs from filtering you are in trouble. Best is replace it on the recomended basis. Use an old gasket, if it leaks then you or the mechanic [ who wont want to eat the cost] just waisted alot of money.

Reply to
m Ransley

Use a Fram ATF kit with a new strainer and cork-rubber gasket (not the paper or recycled rubber tire gasket). Works well for about $20.

The pan and magnets should be wiped clean of the metal dust. It's better to replace the strainer than trying to clean it. Do this if it's never been done before. Finding a good mechanic is harder.

Also remember to drain and replace the ATF in the differential, that old tranny still kept a separate sump.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
johngdole