Transmission Oil (do it urself)

Is changing the transmission oil yourself a big job? My camry has

50,000 miles on it and I'm thinking I should change the transmission oil now.
Reply to
Wyatt Williams

For just using the plug drain yes, I do mine apx every 15000, for a filter no. If you have done nothing for 50000 get someone to do it on a lift, a pro.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's a good idea. Change it a couple of times (3 times) because draining the pan only removes a portion of the oil. Be sure to drive at least ten miles before making the final check on the fluid level so that the transmission is at normal operating temperature. Perhaps just drain the transmission pan when you change the engine oil next three times. The number one cause of transmission failure is overheating. Overheating doesn't hurt the metal gears, it breaks down the fluid. If you don't mind spending five dollars a quart and your transmission calls for Dexron type fluid, synthetic ATF is far more resistant to temperature breakdown. Regardless of the type of fluid you use (Toyota also sells their own brand of ATF), you should continue to maintain regular change intervals. Watch the condition of the fluid compared to new. Probably go not more than 30,000 miles from here on out.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

IF you are doing the Trani-oil change i suggest you go to a toyota delaer, since toyota uses a specific grade of oil for their transmissions and usualy they change once every 2 years or 45000 miles. And remember that toyota trnsmissions usualy come with a life time transmission filter on most of the carolla and camrys, so you dont have to replace them. and along with the transmission there is a differential that needs to be serviced and only toyota delers do a better job or trained to service them.

Once every 100,000 miles i suggest you do a complete FLUSH & FILL, and again do this only in a toyota dealer ship, this will save you from a lot of other problems.

Reply to
kdv

Thinking of doing my own transmission oil drain. Is there a gasket with the transmission drain plug that should be replaced each time?

Thnx for any info

Allan

Reply to
Allan

I would say "yes." I replace the aluminum gasket each time. That way, when you're tightening it, you have a fresh "crush zone" and no worries about sealing. I suspect some people never change that gasket. On other vehicles, I've seen similar aluminum gaskets reused to the point that they're paper thin, and squeezed out to excessive width also. Doesn't mean it can't be made to work, but then you're cranking the drain bolt down successively harder with each use also, until it finally gets mangled or jammed in the threads. Best to simply use a new gasket each time.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Mine never leaks I reuse it. But if near 30000 you need a filter, a pan drop, a pro job.

Reply to
m Ransley