Transmission problem?

My 1998 Camry automatic transmission seems to be shifting hard on both acceleration and deceleration. Actually one of the reasons I prefer a Toyota to a Honda was because the transmission shifts were so smooth one hardly knew they were happening. Is this a problem and/or a simple fix?

RD

Reply to
RD

What's the service history of the trans?

Reply to
Bob H

Sorry for the tardiness, my server doesn't seem to be updating. I believe the oil was changed about a year ago.

RD

Reply to
RD

Did you change the filter, do it again and be sure the level is correct, checked hot motor running.

Reply to
m Ransley

How many miles on the car?

You "believe" the oil was changed about a year ago... ? With Dexron III, right?

Check the transmission oil dipstick... if you're feeling adventurous, try draining the fluid from the pan (use a 10mm hex wrench), note the color of the fluid coming out (is it red or brown?), and re-fill with fresh fluid (should be between 1/2 gallon and 3/4 gallon, depending on how much comes out) through the transmission oil dipstick (need a funnel).

Might also consider changing the differential oil... do you have a

4-cylinder or a V6?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett