Transmission Problem

I have a 2001 Camry with 35K miles on the odometer.

While driving I noticed that the car would shift ok into the cruising speed but the tachometer rpm's did not seem to coincide with the mph on the odometer.

I was told that it may be a problem with the torque converter.

Has anyone had any problems with their trans and what was the result?

Thanks for your response.

Reply to
Ed

In news:lCvZb.20884$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net, Ed being of bellicose mind posted:

Now WHAT does that mean?

"the car would shift ok into the cruising speed but the tachometer rpm's did not seem to coincide with the mph on the odometer."

What are you talking about? The angle of the speedo and tacho meters? Some notion you have about rpm vs. road speed? What?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Tach Should lower RPM and speedo should grow MPH.................If it's shofting into gear, there WILL be some rpm change, however there may be little or no MPH unless accellerating.

Is that how it's happening or is there some difference in RPM?........

By the way, there shouldn;t be a huge drop in RPM either. Just a tiny bit.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

MUADIB: What you have posted below is nonsensical. ONCE the torque converter locks in OD (say 45 mph), a light nudge on the throttle will not move the tachometer needle up while the vehicle speed remains constant but .... if the throttle is held, the two instruments will move up together as vehicle velocity increases. NOW... if the torque converter is UNlocked, the a momentary nudge on the throttle WILL move the tachometer up a couple hundred RPM because ... there is now slippage in the torque converter. Also, anytime you release the throttle, the torque converter will UNlock with slippage occuring.

Actual RPM at a given speed in top gear with the torque converter lock varies with vehicle's overall gearing. A V8 will be turnning fewer RPMs at 60 mph than smallish 4 cylinder.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MUADIB® being of bellicose mind posted:

Reply to
Philip®

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. What I intended was to identify what happens as the car shifts into overdrive.............................as the vehicle shifts into overdrive, the RPM will drop, as the speedo stays steady............................I feel as though what I said made perfect sense,....................at least as much sense as the original post...............Now. I understand well, what happens. I may not have been all that clear on my description the first go-rounud. Maybe this one describes more what I intended.

anyways, thanks for correcting me.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Aside from the tranny issue. do you know anything about changing the Heater core in a 97 camry 4cyl??????

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MUADIB® being of bellicose mind posted:

Nope, can't assist you with that one. Why in the world would a heater core start leaking in a 6-7 year old car? Somebody not changing their antifreeze on schedule?

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Why in the world do they make replacement heater cores Phillip?

The car has 130000 on it nad is due some repairs once in a while.

I bought the car second hand ( or third hand or more ) and aside from this particular repair everything has been pretty straight forward.

I guess I'll buy a manual and read up.

I was hoping someone out there had some quickie info on replacement.

thanks for the help.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MUADIB® being of bellicose mind posted:

Well let's see .... my last car (1990 Prizm) had 285k miles on it (bought it new) and the heater core never leaked. In all the cars I've ever owned, only one Ford ('64) needed a heater core and that was at 5 yrs of age due to ... who knows what.

Before you dig into a RARE repair, consider that a clogged evaporator drain (much more common) will allow the heater/evaporator to retain water (A/C runs with ANY defroster outlet setting) and thus mimic a weeping heater core (moisture / steam on windshield). Now if you've got antifreeze puking on the passenger's feet ... that a different issue. LOL

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Well, there ya go Phil,...............Maybe I have a Whoknows what, that caused my leaky heater core. Already checked the evep. drain,and have a pretty good mechanical knowledge to boot. Somewhere back in the 90's I actually went to school and got a mechanical tech certificate................for airplanes even.

once again thanks for the help.

Seems as though my original question is being ignored, or maybe no one knows what it entails to do this job on the 97 Camry 4cyl.

If anyone can help me with that info, I am still open to it. I am not looking for diagnosis, or criticism on my abilties or my cars uncared for condition in which I purchased it. It has served me well, and I am looking to serve it well also, if it is within an economically sound range.

Phil, I have read many entries in this group that you have posted. I really expected a nicer tone. I also felt as though I was hearing your input as helpful and useful. I will keep this in mind as I continue to read the group. I do believe you have been helpful , and will likely be helpful to many as time goes by.

No hard feelings so far.......................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, MUADIB® being of bellicose mind posted:

Print does not serve me well in conveying joviality. Nearly 30 yrs wrenching followed by 12 yrs driving line haul has made me a bit

*direct* and little tactless. I'll pepper my responses with some emoticons. ;-)
--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to