Transmission Problem 93 Toyota Camry Does Not Want To Shift On Its Correct RPM

Would appreciate suggestion on what I need to do on my 93 Toyota Camry Automatic Transmission to get it to shift properly.

Problem The transmission is not shifting when it is cold or not warmed up.

The transmission will allow the engine rpm to rev as high as 3000 rpms when you start out and does not shift until it warms up.

I have changed the throttle position sensor, but it doesn't seem to help.

Your suggestion or idea on what I need to repair is most appreciated.

Thanks Herb

Reply to
spar

Waybel

================== Have you just recently acquired this vehicle? The computer is designed to prevent shifting into overdrive until the engine warms slightly. If you're travelling at higher speeds with the engine cold, then 3000 rpms could be normal. If you're saying it doesn't shift out of first or second gear that would be different.

Reply to
Daniel

This is TRUE.. I go through this every fall.

In the summer, it is warm enough from the git go that the car will shift into OD as soon as I get to 40 MPH.

In the fall once it gets cool out, the car will not shift into OD for a few minutes and I am not accustomed to hearing the engine rev so high and I think something is wrong.

Yes you are correct, this is normal.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
spar

============== Check the factory service manual. Shifting is controllled by solenoids run by the ECM. Sounds like the shift solenoids are sticking.

Daniel

OD -overdrive wont work till 110f, Change Trans oil and filter Now. Keep rpms under 1500 till car is warm or you risk oil filter bypass and its just harder on the motor.

Reply to
m Ransley