Transmission Whine -- 2000 Avalon

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a whining sound from the transmission of my 2000 Avalon XL with 75,000 miles. This is the car that was apparently abused (not maintained regularly) by the previous owner and had a sludged engine and clogged baffles in the valve covers. A factory rebuilt short block, head rebuild, and new valve covers complements of Toyota Extended Care took care of the first problem.

Got the car back today from the transmission work. Turns out the transmission whine was mostly due to worn parts in the differential. The description on the RO states:

"Ring gear, pinion gear, bearings, seals and front differential parts scored. Replaced front differential case, pinion gear, ring gear bearings and seals along with spacer and gasket."

Total for the differential work came to $2279.60, all paid by Toyota Extra Care.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Good deal and good to know what it's about. But the price is mainly for the customer. Toyota pays wholesale to the dealer anyway, which is much lower than that.

The extended warranty more than paid for itself in your case. Toyota did switch from gear oil to ATF for the differential, if that makes any difference I wonder, now there is no going back since the pans are shared between the tranny and the diff.

Merritt Mullen wrote:

Reply to
johngdole