TSB for vibration kit... service denied

Hey again..

Browsing thru some old NGs I found a post regarding a vibration kit for

92-93 Camrys. I wrote down the TSB# (EG94-002) and headed on over to my dealer hoping to FINALLY fix the vIbRaTiOn in my 94 Camry. The parts department told me I'm on my own, but then the service dept. told me they'd cover it if my VIN matched those specified by the TSB. It didnt, by about a few digits or so. So I called up Toyota and begged and pleaded with them to no avail. Toyota also told me that TSB arent the same as recalls (no duh) and that they're not covered unless they're having a "special campaign." Well I know Toyota is aware of the 94 Camry vibration problem.. I dont know how many dozens of postings I've seen about it. The dealer said I should only use their motor mount (12361-74252) since it is hydraulic and I probably won't find aftermarket ones just as good (advanceauto does have hydraulic mounts tho, just checked). Does anyone have any advice? I've read posts where people have gotten their dealer to do the work for free.

Also, I tried the Redline cleaner that some people have talked about and I'm pretty sure I noticed some difference. Could dirty fuel injectors affect fuel economy? or just performance? I don't see how it could affect one without the other but then again thats why I'm asking. Sorry to be such a newb. I ask because I get about 450mpg highway and about 275-300mpg city. My dealer said thats at least average. Lastly, whats all your opinions on that carbon cleaning service from the dealer (170 bux). Worth it? My engine looks pretty clean and I clean out the throttle body once or twice a year.

-elric-

Reply to
no_email

try another dealer or two, maybe one of them will work with you. The car *is* ten years old, and it makes no sense to carry on too much about it if none will "cover" it. Shouldn't be too much trouble to pay for it yourself if you love your car enough to have it done.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Get the parts listed on the TSb and have someone reputable install them.

The dealer said I should only use their motor mount

The Toyota one is probably better...most aftermarket parts are crap.

dealer to do the work for free.

Not gonna happen, the car is over 10 years old and no recall was made for that problem. TSBs are fixed at your expense.

I'mpretty sure I noticed

Yes dirty injectors can hurt performance and economy. City mileage sounds a little low. Highway is good. How is the air filter and fuel filter? tires at the right pressure? Brakes not dragging? Valves been adjusted lately? Correct weight of oil being used?

year.

I had that done on my older Camry. I could tell no difference. Looks of an engine mean nothing unless you have xray vision... Good on the throttle body service.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Have you checked the secondary ignition system. By now, if you haven't already, all those parts should probably be changed. My distributor cap ('94) looked good except it was old enough that the rubber vent had cracked, so I sealed it with RTV silicone, then just went ahead and replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires and platinum plugs. Two of the spark plug wires showed infinite resistance and one was shorting down inside the spark plug tube. If your plug wires are weak, could contribute to rough idle. Also check the "dog bone" upper engine mount. If that has slightly cracked, it's easy to replace. If it is shot, engine movement while accelerating is likely to destroy to larger (fluid dampened) main engine mounts more rapidly.

Reply to
Daniel

I clean out the throttle body once or twice a year.

Spraying cleaner in the TB will keep the butterfly valve from sticking, but if you have the factory service manual, there's a procedure of cleaning with compressed air and also adjusting the tthrottle position sensor with a .024" thickness gauge, and setting the engine speed by adjusting the throttle positioner. Bottom line - removing the throttle body allows you to access areas in the back- near the EGR outlet, that are inacessible otherwise.

Reply to
Daniel

I clean out the throttle body once or twice a year.

Spraying cleaner in the TB will keep the butterfly valve from sticking, but if you have the factory service manual, there's a procedure of cleaning with compressed air and also adjusting the tthrottle position sensor with a .024" thickness gauge, and setting the engine speed by adjusting the throttle positioner. Bottom line - removing the throttle body allows you to access areas in the back- near the EGR outlet, that are inacessible otherwise. You need a manual, a new $2 gasket, a gallon of coolant, compressed air, carburetor cleaner, and some patience.

Reply to
Daniel

I don't have the factory service manual, but I do have the Chilton's and Haynes manuals.. Tho I am thinking about investing in one of the factory service manual CDs online ($25).. Unless someone is feeling generous... ;>

Reply to
no_email

Replaced the dog bone mount (torque strut) last night.. It just barely reduced any of the vibration. Think I gotta go with following the TSB and replacing the front mount and the radiator supports.. Might as well change some hoses while I'm down there, they're lookin kinda worn.

Also I decided to take the car to the dealer and have them run a full diagnostics on it ($85). I can do real minor things but I'm not experienced enough to check timings, replace gaskets, etc...

Reply to
no_email

If you could find a genuine hard copy book, that might be more useful. I have trouble with the idea of printing a page or two at the computer, going out to the garage, looking things over, coming back in greasy to print more pages, etc. Up to you of course. Good luck. Bob

and

factory

generous... ;>

Reply to
BeeP

toyo tech here ok on you motor mount if your dogbone mount is torn that means your front motor mount is bad we always replace them together and the throttle body cleaning I havent noticed any improvement in driving or gas mileage but it cleans the butterfly which starts to stick shut youll start to notice it when you press your gas pedal and it sticks at first it recommended every 15000 miles though charge for these should be 1.5hr front motor mount .5 for dog bone and .7 for throttle body (also know as 3 part it includes fuel additive and throttle body cleaner and top end engine cleaner) not sure on labor rate though

Reply to
naandy2002

Your post is simply unreadable. Please learn the English language rules of punctuation. Then repeat your message. Thank you.

Reply to
William W. Plummer