tsb on rear wheel bearings for 1999 Camry?

My right rear wheel bearing failed at 130000 km and apparently damaged the hub such that it needs to be replaced at a cost of $600. Anybody know of a TSB about this problem?

Reply to
Nobody Important

=========== I don't believe there is a TSB. I only heard of this happening one other time. Since the condition is rare and rear wheel bearings are usually good for the life of the car, I'd be looking for a used replacement part at substantially reduced cost, or a second opinion about the hub damage. I'm not clear how a wheel bearing could damage the hub. The bearing is a sealed unit that can be replaced, unless it locked up and spun in the hub damaging the mating surfaces but I would think you would hear horrid noises before it progressed to that stage.

Reply to
Daniel

Thanks for the reply, Daniel.

There was a noise that got bad enough that my wife stopped driving. But the tow truck towed it with the back wheels on the ground for about 5 km. (I only drove it about 50 feet and thought the sound was coming from the front, so I didn't object when the tow driver towed it with the back wheels on the ground.)

Too late to get a used part - dealer spoke to my wife, who authorized them to use new parts.

Dealer is charging 2 hours' labour to remove the old bearing/hub and put in the new ones - does this seem reasonable? It looks to me like you undo 4 bolts and use a puller to remove the hub, which ought to take less than an hour. Maybe they quoted a worst-case scenario and won't charge that much in the end.

Reply to
Nobody Important

==================== Uusally there is a "book rate" for labor. The time to negotiate is before authorizing the work. Generally the bearing is replaced only by the dealer because you need a powerful hydraulic press with the correct size die to press the bearing races in without damage. Hopefully your estimate also included four wheel computerized wheel alignment following. Dealer service is usually expensive, but with the right equipment and experience at least you're paying to have it restored to like "new" condition with the correct parts. I have heard of someone banging on it with a pipe and getting that to work to remove and install the bearing - so at least you can comfort yourself in the knowledge the dealer is probably not doing the repair that way.

Reply to
Daniel

It would not matter even if their was a TSB TSB are you pay anyway !!!!WHat do you expext

130K Klm is what 75K miles. Rear brakes should have been inspected & bearings greased at least once during that time
Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I've never heard of greasing rear bearings! True you pay for TSB fixes when vehicle out of warranty BUT here are some free repair Special Service Campaigns. I got A/C expansion valve and entire system rechanrged with R12 FREON on a '90 4Runner 12 years later - same SSC applied to my '93 Camry - so worth checking ALLDATA at least.

Reply to
Wolfgang