Turning my headlights off when they're on and on when they're off?

I have a 2000 Solara, and it seems I can't turn the headlights off, even if I want to sit in a parked car, run the heater (or AC) because it's cold (or hot) and not attract attention to myself. Even if I want to play the radio and need to recharge the battery some of the time. Is this true? There is no way to turn off the headlights or parking lights?

What about during the day? What if I want to turn the headlights on to see if they are all working? There's a sensor that dims the lights when it's day time, or at least turns the brights on when it's nighttime. How do I pur the all lights on when it's not dark out?

Thanks

Reply to
micky

With my 1999 Camry if I pull up the parking brake just one notch the headlights do not come on when engine is restarted.

Where I live headlights must be on when it is raining. The headlight switch on the stalk overrides the sensor.

Reply to
Ron Lee

Thanks a lot. I tired this and it worked!! That's not a bad system.

IIUC, the sensor on the right tells the car when it is dark or light out.

But what about the sensor (or at least the little plastic dome) on the left, just to the left of the defroster vent? What does it do?

Reply to
micky

Can't help you there. My Camry doesn't have that.

Reply to
Ron Lee

In that it makes sense, I mean, so I should be able to remember it. . If the daytime running rights are for drving, one is less likely to be driving when the hand brake is on than when he is merely in Park.

It's some sort of plastic growth, I guess. I wonder if my car has cancer.

Reply to
micky