Use of a non-key in modern cars.

Not a question so far, but a "helpful-hint".

I have a new-to-me 2000 Toyota Solara. When I wanted a copy of my car key cut on a standard non-electronic blank, the old guy at Home Depot gave me a hard time. I wasn't sure why I wanted one, but I was sure I did. (Maybe two.)

Finally in arguing with him, I came up with that a) it would enable me to get into the car or trunk, and b) I might end up hiding a full-function key there. .

Today I came up with a third and better reason. I lost my cell phone and want to go back to using my previous cell phone, which has been sitting without a sim card in my trunk with its car charger since last August, since it will still work to call 911.

I figured I had to charge it before I went to AT&T to get a new sim card (since the current one is lost along with the current phone.)

Lo and behold, the battery still showed three bars, after 6 months of sitting.

But had it needed charging, I don't think the cigarette ligthters work when the ignitiion is OFF. (I plan to rewire at least one lighter socket) I would have to turn the key to ACC. I've disconnected the key-in-ignition switch, so it's possible for me to lock the car doors with the key in the ignition. I don't know if I could set the alarm with the key in ACC., but even if I could, I don't like leaving my car alone with the key in it, doors locked or not.

BUT! I can take the non-electronic key, turn it to ACC, charge the phone, and lock the car with the real key or the remote, and even if someone breaks in, he won't be able to start the car.

Everyone should have a key like that. .

Reply to
micky

good points.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Reply to

Can't they just make you a basic valet key? Seems like that is what you're looking for.

Reply to
MG

What is the deal on valet keys? I just had to pay Honda $70 to get a valet key. There has to be a cheaper way.

wilso

It depends what you mean by basic. If you mean a key without a chip in it, what I called a non-electronic key, yes, pretty much.

If basic doesn't mean that, and you mean a valet key with a chip in it**, no. Because that *would* not just turn on the cigatette lighter, but would also start the car, making it vulnerale to theft. Theft is not very likely but by using the non-electronic key, I can avoid the possibility entirely. **And an electronic valet key came with the car.

Yes, a basic non-electronic 4-lock key (or a basic non-e valet key) is what I was talking about. A non-electronic valiet key would also prevent someone from entering the trunk or glove box. Maybe I'll get one

FWIW, I'm not actually looking for anything anymore. I have one, and I found another use for it.

Reply to
micky