Used Oil Analysis of CAMRY'S Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 after 4,920 miles

About 7 months ago, I mailed to Blackstone Labs a used motor oil sample that came out of my oil pan's drain plug when I did an oil change. Here are the results of the UOA (used oil analysis).

OCI means Oil Change Interval. PP means Pennzoil Platinum, a synthetic oil (Group III anyway).

6-month OCI (from May 16 to November 12, 2008). Toyota OEM air and oil filters (Denso 90915-YZZF1). 19,620 total car miles.

This was my second consecutive fill with PP 5w-30 (API SM & GF-4). I had previously used Mobil 1 and Valvoline Conventional. Always gentle driving on roads in Columbia, Missouri and St. Louis.

Special Notes: The first 3,200 miles of this approximate 5,000-mile OCI was exclusive city driving with most trips averaging somewhere between 15 miles and 30 miles (all city, again). The next 1,700 miles of this OCI was a 50/50 mix of city and highway.

On the actual day of the oil change, just before changing the oil, I drove the car about 30 miles on the highway, then let it idle

15 minutes while I brought out the ramps and other equipment.

Although my manual calls for 4 quarts of oil when changing the oil and oil filter, I always put in 4.25 quarts.

This is Toyota's 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine, an inline 4 cylinder.

Blackstone-Labs results:

Miles on oil: 4,920 Miles on engine: 19,610 Sample date: 11/12/2008 ; Report date: 11/24/2008 Makeup oil added: 0

[First number = my sample's results] , [Second number = Universal Averages for this engine]

Aluminum 3 , 3 Chromium 0 , 0 Iron 7 , 10

Copper 1 , 2 Lead 3 , 2 Tin 0 , 1

Molybdenum 53 , 90 Nickel 0 , 0 Manganese 0 , 0

Silver 0 , 0 Titanium 0 , 0

--------- Potassium 2 , 1 Boron 28 , 39 Silicon 17 , 17 Sodium 4 , 14

---------

Calcium 2795 , 2347 Magnesium 15 , 121 Phosphorous 714 , 719 Zinc 860 , 853 Barium 1 , 0

MY RESULTS // VALUES SHOULD BE

SUS Viscosity @ 210* F = 59.3 // 56 - 63 cSt Viscosity @ 100* C = 10.03 // 9.1 - 11.3 Flashpoint in * F = 400 // > 365

Fuel % is < 0.5 // < 2.0 Antifreeze % = 0.0 // 0.0 Water % = 0.0 // < 0.1 Insolubles % = 0.2 // < 0.6

TBN = 4.7 TAN = 0.9

Built_Well's Note: The UOA cost about $22 or so. The TAN and the TBN readings cost an extra $10 each, and you gotta request them at Blackstone if you want them. I forgot to request the TAN, but I emailed them a day after receiving my results, and they pulled my oil sample and ran the TAN. I was happy that they hadn't immediately thrown away my oil sample after running the standard tests the day before. I don't know how long they keep the oil samples, though.

Anyway, I wanted a TAN (Total Acid Number) reading just for fun to compare it to RLI's Bio-Syn reading when I send the used Bio-Syn 0w-30 to Blackstone in the future (RLI is Renewable Lubricants, Inc's oil available at RenewableLube.com). The results above for the used Pennzoil Platinum

5w-30 oil happened during moderate temperatures and weather from May to November (mostly Summer and Fall). I think it'll be interesting to compare the nice weather PP results to the harsh weather Bio-Syn results (Winter).

Finally, I think the numbers that Blackstone provides for the "Universal Averages" for the Toyota aluminum 2AZ-FE engine are from many oil samples tested with an average distance of 4,600 miles for the many samples sent in by their customers.

Reply to
Built_Well

And the winner is?

Reply to
HLS

========

Can't say yet who the winner is. The RLI Bio-Syn 0w-30 is still in the car ;-)

It's great oil--the motor is so, so quiet. Start-ups during the winter were so easy, too (effortless).

Next I'll try Amsoil 0w-30.

Reply to
Built_Well

Umm.... you're really not going to be able to make _any_ judgement at all with a single test on each oil.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

========

Umm, I'm less interested in finding a winner than safely extending my OCIs (oil change intervals) to 6,000 or 7,000 miles :-P

Here's what Blackstone-Labs.com had to say about the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 UOA in the Camry:

"All wear read near or below averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts and careful operation. The universal averages show normal wear after ~4,600 miles on the oil. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use, and blow-by) were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze was found. Silicon was normal at 17 ppm (parts per million), so your air filtration is still getting the job done. The TBN (Total Base Number) read 4.7. 1.0 is considered low, so plenty of the additive was still active. Nothing abnormal was found. Looks like a nice engine."

Later in an email correspondence, Blackstone Labs stated:

"As far as the oil use goes, I think you could easily go past 5,000 miles for the oil change and 7,000 miles would be a good sampling point next time. If everything continues to look good, we'll suggest going even longer after that." [End Quote]

Well, I don't plan on ever extending beyond 7,000 miles, but if I wanted to do 5,000-mile and 6-month oil changes, the non-synthetic Castrol GTX would probably suffice, as it appears to be one of the best dinos from a UOA perspective. But I don't really relish getting underneath the car anymore, so my preference is 6,000 or 7,000 miles changes and up to 10 months time.

I'll probably even use an oversized filter next time like the Mobil 1 209 in place of the specified Mobil 1 103 (some people do that), but the 103 would probably be fine too. Right now I'm still using the OEM spec'ed Denso filter (YZZF1). For the next UOA, I'll get a particulate count so I can compare the Denso with the future Mobil 1.

I guess this isn't all about fun. It's also about saving time and getting underneath the car less often. And I'd rather not have to trust dealers and independent shops to do the work. Nobody will do the work better than you, as we saw with the over-torqued lug nuts on my Camry, when the dealer rotated the tires ;-)

Reply to
Built_Well

And what do you think you will find on a single data point that will tell you something that will help this?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Don't be a party-pooper. He's enjoying himself. Sometimes that's more important than getting answers to life's imponderable questions.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

You can fiddlefart around with these oil analyses as long as you like, but I am not sure that you get anything as valuable as an oil change would deliver.

And I am a chemist.

Reply to
HLS

They are very helpful for huge sump capacity engines and machinery, such as OTR truck engines and stationary generators. For a Camry, I agree :-)

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Well, the oil analysis is a lot like an oil change, in that you can't just do it once, you have to keep doing it on a regular basis.

What the original poster's analysis tells him is that his engine is not showing any obvious signs of impending catastrophic failure, his rings aren't totally shot, his air filter is good, and his oil is not breaking down. All of these things are things that he could probably have guessed before doing the analysis.

All a single analysis tells you is that you don't have something horribly catastrophic wrong. It'll let you know you don't have severe oil breakdown, and to be honest with ANY motor oil today you won't see severe oil breakdown after 7,000 miles. This isn't 1970 any longer. The problem is that what you want to know about your engine is a little bit more detailed than that.

The problem is that to do long-term oil analyses and keep accurate plots for years on end is an expensive proposition... much more expensive than the oil changes you might save. But you can do it if you're inclined to do such things.

You could buy three identical cars, keep changing the oil on all of them with a different kind of oil in each, and try and rotate your commute around all three of them so you put about the same mileage on them. Then you could do long-term oil analysis on each and five or six years later probably get a good idea of how each of the oils is doing. I could see someone doing that.

I mean, I'm the guy who does electrophoresis plates on soy sauce and titrations on dishwashing detergents so I know which one to buy... but even I'm not crazy enough to do regular oil analysis...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Nerd!

Sorry, just having some fun...

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

Syn oil is already so cheap compared to a replacement engine...what's the big deal about getting modest increases in oil change intervals? Sounds like penny wise and pound foolish. Google is your friend.

Reply to
Sharx35

Why do you overfill it, more oil =3D more friction at the crank- less milage, try 0-30 Mobil 1. I notice a reduction in performance at around 3-4000 with synthetics, aditive packages loose efffectivness over time.

Reply to
ransley

well built. do you drive your wife crazy? just wondering ? DAVE

Reply to
Dave Dave

Such tests have been done, and no advantage was shown for synthetic oil. However they did not do extended change intervals. It could be that if they had gone 7500 or 10,000 miles between changes that they would have found an advantage to synthetic.

Reply to
SMS

If possibly you are saying synthetic has ho benefit put some regular oil and syn in the deep freeze and see which one pours at -15f better, it also doesnt burn up in high heat like regular oil. Cold startup can really starve a motor of oil.

Reply to
ransley

If possibly you are saying synthetic has ho benefit put some regular oil and syn in the deep freeze and see which one pours at -15f better, it also doesnt burn up in high heat like regular oil. Cold startup can really starve a motor of oil.

******************* Statistical analysis of data from a large number of cars driven under different conditions would be interesting. There are mathematical ways of selecting appropriate populations for this sort of analysis.

Just looking at a few cases leads to anecdotal, and probably useless, information.

If you keep your car in a deepfreeze at -15F (or geographical facsimile), then the low temperature flow characteristics become more important. I weathered a lot of winters in Norway, but it never got that cold where I lived. I used both synthetic and dino oils in two different cars because that is what the manufacturer recommended. Both cars did well enough, although the synthetic user "seeped" from the time it was new.

The dino lubricated car started well, developed oil pressure instantly, although the lowest temperatures involved were in the range of -15C.

All of this is, of course, anecdotal.

Our two new cars used dino. I change them regularly and well within the manufactures recommendation (5000 miles recommended). I would not at all change over to synthetic because I no longer live in a deepfreeze, the manufacturer does not recommend synthetic, and I see no advantage in my case.

Reply to
HLS

Yes, in extremely cold climates, and in very high performance engines that run very hot, there's an advantage to synthetic. The issue is that so many people use synthetic in mild climates and in normal engines, and also don't extend the oil change interval. They're throwing money away because all the tests show no benefit.

Reply to
SMS

Not extreme cold is needed to benefit, even at 20-30f oils dont flow as well as they do when warm, also there is a group of earlier toyotas known to sludge and ruin motors from the motors higher operating temp, synthetic would have been a big benefit to them. I use it, I notice a diference, oil is cheap compared to a new motor.

Reply to
ransley

Electrophoresis plates for soy sauce? Why, how, ??? !!! ???

Use Datu Puti (cheap, tastes good) and you're done. :D

Michael

Reply to
Michael