Used Oil Analysis of CAMRY'S Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 after 4,920 miles

Interesting! Audi is a small division of VW, but June happens to be the best sales month in 2009 for Audi.

Said Johan de Nysschen, President, Audi of America. =93The trend is clear: Audi is outperforming the rest of the imported luxury car market on a percentage basis. And this is happening without extraordinary discounting and other gimmicks. It is a testament to the long-term momentum Audi has developed and the caliber of our products in the freshest fleet out there.=94

So we'll see.

Reply to
john

So why would a 1997 5SFE engine's oil flow more slowly than a 1996

5SFE engine?

Reply to
john

I wonder if the averages are just owners using typical dino or dino/ blend engine oil?

And if synthetic falls within dino range, what does it mean?

Reply to
john

I'm sure their business model works well for them. I wouldn't suggest that somebody who isn't committed to expensive maintenance buy one though. Naturally I see under maintained Audis and $7/quart-oil-needin' VWs that settle for a $29.99 oil change all the time. And there's something about a 40 hour labor time to remove their bi turbo and V8 engines that kicks me the wrong way, from a tech's standpoint at least. Eurotrash was a little harsh, but from my perspective that's all I see them as. I realize that they are technical marvels, but can't see how they could be considered practical or competitive for the extra $ and minimal gains all that crammed in technology yields compared to some well built, cheaper, simpler competition from the US and (mostly) Japan.

Reply to
Toyota MDT in MO

One MORE than yo' mama, apparently.

Reply to
Sharx35

Toyota made the passages in the block smaller....in order to raise the operating temperature to give better environmental figures. Another reason why environuts are whack jobs.

Reply to
Sharx35

It is used for food additives, flavoring, IIRC>

Reply to
HLS

Dont talk that way about my brother...

Reply to
HLS

That's the question, and to find out you're gonna have to cut it open and see what they changed in the design of the oil galleries. I bet it's a very minor configuration change that had a big affect. Maybe there's a sharp corner that used to be rounded or a rounded corner that used to be sharp. It's going to be something that trivial-looking.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Is it 1000w? I pay 0.16 per 1000w, so leave it on all night, I will say 6 hrs, thats 1$ a day, 30$ a month. My syn oil only costs 30$ more and lasts about 6 months the way I have been driving, So Syn oil is better it costs less than a block heater to run by a factor of 5x. You still dont factor in its superior performance at high temp, reduced friction. And what does a block heater cost and cost to install, I guess you figure its free. 0w30 Mobil One is what I am using, about

60$ a full change.
Reply to
ransley

300 watts gets about 20 degrees Celsius rise in 4 hours. Put it on a timer. 1.2 KWH $.20 a day or $6 per month. Does not need to be run in the summer. Warn engine starts easier (gasoline vaporizes more easily) and probably uses less gasoline on startup.
Reply to
Ray

I'll second the yecch!

Reply to
Ray O
60$ a full change. ********** Use what you like. You have NO data on "superior" performance. If you live in Lower Slobbovia, and the polar bears freeze to death, there, then by all means use your choice of low viscosity oils.
Reply to
HLS

I wonder if the posters who "yecch" about human hair being hydrolyzed into a food item have similar reservations about "going down" there...orally.

Reply to
Sharx35

It's probably the #1 shoyu sold in this little town. The stuff was developed in Hawaii after the war to speed up shoyu production. Instead of waiting for friendly micro-organisms to break down the soy/wheat mash, heavy-duty acid is used instead. What a concept! I think they should use "One taste and it's Aloha!" as their motto. :-)

Human hair shoyu sounds like your standard internet hoax. What would lend some credibility to this story would be some statement from the FDA.

I've never heard of this before but I will be looking out for peanut shoyu. Speaking of VN stores, I like the Trung Nguyen coffee - it's remarkably smooth with a neat chocolate-like note. However, the little Vietnamese coffee makers has got to be one of the worst designs ever for a brewing system - to slow for Americans. Makes you want to drink tea instead. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

It's different when you know whose hair it is.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Aloha used to advertise that they were the only soy sauce producer in the US. Now Kikkoman is making soy sauce in a plant in the midwest somewhere, and there are a couple small production outfits. There's a Vietnamese guy in the Washington DC area who sells soy sauce at the farmers markets up there.

And I do seriously think it's as good as most of the Japanese-style sauces out there.

I posted a cite to one of the Chinese websites. Here is an archive.org backup of the Xinhua site:

Blame the French for that, they came up with it!

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

What is google broken, google data, how about the fact that a major percentage of engine wear is on startup, or is everything a myth to you, you must be a dino oil salesman.

Reply to
ransley

I am not a dino oil salesman. I am a research chemist, now retired.

If you quote a "fact" like "p;ercentage of engine wear is on startup", then you need data to back it up. .Numbers, not just repearting what you have heard or read. What IS the percentage of engine wear on startup? With synthetic and with dino. How were the data obtained (conditions, methods, population).

Question every perceived truth.. Evaluate the credibility of every perceived myth.

Reply to
HLS

I have seen this one. I wish there were more current info on this from other news agencies. Info is pretty sketchy, it seems.

You got a point right there! :-)

Reply to
dsi1