Water pump

While I'm changing the timing belt, I'm also changing the water pump on my '97 Camry 4 cylinder. The coolant bypass hose is attached to the back of the pump behind the thermostat. How do you detach the pump from it? The book just says to remove it. I have removed the 2 nuts for the other metal hose. Everything seems to be loose but the bypass hose. I don't want to force it until I know how it is attached. thank you

Reply to
moon11

The bypass pipes are connected to the water pump housing. To remove the housing from the pipes you need to take the bolts like you did and then pull the pump and housing out (towards the wheel). Wiggle it a bit while pulling it out should help. Make sure you have new o-rings and gasket for the housing. See Haynes repair manual at your local Pep Boys for details.

Now would be a good time to change out the thermostat and gasket on the inlet pipe. Thermostat is one part you have to use Toyota and make sure the jiggle valve that lets air out is pointed in the correct direction. Personally I prefer NAPA's Airtex water pump over Toyota's Aisin pump. But use Toyota Red and only distilled water.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, the timing belt's off already, right? And the water pump bolts? I tape a plastic sheet (supermarket bag) under the pump so when I pull it off the remaining coolant won't drip all over the lower part of the engine. Less to wipe dry anyways.

Reply to
johngdole