Weather realated stalling problem

My 1984 4 cylinder camry with 80,000 miles on it has developed a stalling problem. This problem only occurs after it rains. The car doesn't have to be driven in the rain, just parked and then the next day it will stall repeatedly but usually without any difficulty in restarting. This is obviously a weather related problem, my question is what engine, ignition or electrical components should I be looking at in my troubleshooting quest. Thanks for any help you can give me.

snipped-for-privacy@Aol.com

Reply to
Philip Stein

Had a similar problem with a '77 Toyota four cylinder truck engine for some time. That ignition system was probably more primitive than yours. Essentially a capacitive discharge ignition. Had points, but they only carried enough current to trigger the ignition control module. The ignition control module (igniter) was the expensive part. Every time the truck sat outside in the rain, it was difficult or impossible to start, but ran fine on other days. You might want to check the coil, too. On mine, no matter how well I cleaned the tower, at night, I could see sparks arcing from the center to the side terminals. Eventually wound up replacing the igniter and the coil. Just drove it last week in the rain, and even after the truck had been sitting outside unused for several weeks, then soaked in the rain, it still started right up (after the usual cranking to get fuel up to the carburetor).

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

stalling

Daniel, when viewing ignition systems in the dark, you will see what appears to be HV leaks without the cracking noise. This is really not a problem. Its 'corona' or a form of leakage which is related to ionisation rather than a direct leak across a dirty insulator or a carbon-track. OTOH, true HT leaks inside the dizzy-cap occur without any audible noise or visual references.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James