What are my battery options for a 99 XLE?

I believe the BCI code is 24F. My owners manual doesn't actually list the BCI battery size, but the current battery is the original and I don't know how long it'll last. Is there a decent common BCI sized battery that would replace these sizes as my Costco doesn't have the

24F size.

Thanks,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

Sears Die Hard Gold ($79) has an exact fit batteries for the Camry. Unfortunately the high-end EverStart-Maxx batteries at Wal-Mart ($59) has terminals in the middle (top) of the battery, and may not be an exact fit. If your current battery has the terminals toward one end of the battery (on top), it may harder than you think to adjust the cables to fit a battery with terminals in the middle (top). Sears charges $10 for installation and at Wal-Mart installation is free.

Some batteries, including the Die Hard Gold, come in North and South models. The North models have better cold cranking amps ratings, but the South batteries are built more robust and usually last longer than the North Batteries. This is because, given a the fixed external size of a battery, the manufacturer has to compromise construction quality to get more cold cranking amps for the North versions. In many cases you will automatically get a North or South battery without you knowing which one you have simply based on where you bought it. In other cases, the manufacturer may only have one model.

North batteries should be used if you park your car outside overnight in the winter time in colder climates. But if you have an attached garage, or it doesn't get that cold where you live, a South battery is more robust and should last longer. Unfortunately, depending on where you live, you may not be able to get a South battery.

Most batteries are made by three companies: Delphi (makers of ACDelco and some EverStarts), Exide (Champion, Exide, NAPA, and some EverStarts), and Johnson Controls (AutoZone, Interstate, Motorcraft, Sears DieHards, and some EverStarts).

Reply to
Mark A

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:57:18 -0600, "Mark A" wrote:

?"Father Guido" wrote in message ?news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... ?> I believe the BCI code is 24F. My owners manual doesn't actually list ?> the BCI battery size, but the current battery is the original and I ?> don't know how long it'll last. Is there a decent common BCI sized ?> battery that would replace these sizes as my Costco doesn't have the ?> 24F size. ?>

?> Thanks, ?>

?> Norm ?>

[...]

Thanks for the info Mark, I will use it when deciding what to buy.

Reply to
Father Guido
24F? Isn't that the standard size battery. Costco should have it, maybe they are out of stock. They have a great price & waranty, the first 3 years, if it fails, its 100% replacement cost.
Reply to
jjjsan