What Diag Test Port to use on a '95?

Hi. I'm new to indepth troubleshooting on my Camry. I do have some auto mechanical/electrical background. So to get started, here's a small bag of questions I need some help with. Appreciate any help.

We have a '95 Camry v6, US built for Canadian market (non-Calif. compliant). From what I have gathered, 1995 was a crossover year with OBD-2 becoming apparent first with v-6's, at least in Canada. There is no mention of being OBD-2 compliant on the Emissions label under the hood.

But, I did find 3 "diagnosis" -labelled ports on the car: a rectangular DLC #1 on the engine (8 actual pinouts - E1, AB, TE1, Tc,+B,Ts,WA,WB); a round DLC #2 just under the dash on the D/S (5 actual pinouts - ABS, AB,A/D,Tc,E1); and DLC #3 of what appears to be a OBD-2 port just behind the coin pocket on the D/S ( 4 actual pinouts - 2,4,5,16 all unlabelled).

I am confused as to which diag port to concentrate on using, before springing to buy a reader if necessary. They all seem to have a purpose but different pinouts.

Is the #3 port really an early version OBD-2 test port, as it doesn't have all the pins in the available socket holes (just 4)? What protocol does Toyota Camry use with OBD-2, J1850 VPW or ISO? If this is the OBD-2 port, does the Toyota's port allow for complete codes retrieval or just certain codes such only emissions codes? - what about others such as ABS, ignition and airbag faults? and what are the other 2 diag ports used for - say, at a Toyota service shop?

Okay, once I've got that straight, I can start checking the market for a good inexpensive reader, or interface(?) ;*|

Dale

Reply to
Dale

Hey, Dale, this pretty much answers your question.

Note: If you have an OBDII port which it looks like you do, I would be hesitant to use the Diagnostics port under the hood. This is a jumper type connector, you jumper TE1 and E1 to flash the MIL and get the code, but I would call a Toyota dealer. Most will set you right; some will say, "Bring it in"...yeah right; I know one dealer that charges $99 just to hook into the OBDII!!!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Thanks, hashiroku. Me too. And no, the MIL won't flash even if the pins - TE1 and E1 are shorted at the engine port. TE1 is not in the round underdash plug (as it shows in the sketch at the site you indicated) so I can't use that one either. So that leaves the other one nearby and behind the coin pocket, the suspect OBD2 socket. As for the Toyota dealers, well let's just say they weren't helpful. But could be for about $100. lol Personally, I don't think they are sure as this year of car was in some sort of OBD swap and they would have to experiment on my coin to find out - just a wild guess ;^)

Hey, by the way. I think another poster Jack was having a similar problem with his car. Wonder if he got it solved? Dale

Reply to
Dale

the

Yeah, I saw his post and thought it was yours!

I had a '95 Tercel, and most people that looked at it (non-Toyota) were surprised to see the connector in the fuse box with the P-Codes. So it may not be OBDII exaclty (they ran it on the Dyno for emissions) but that connector will give you the codes. Next best trick (if you're in the US) is to head over to AutoZone and ask them to plug their magic box in; they say they'll do it for free.

Actually. as a Best Guess, you say the light is on sometimes and off sometimes? The ONLY thing i can think of that DOESN'T store a code is the gas cap! You may not be cranking it down hard enough to seal the system, or the gasket is going.

Good Luck!

auto

with.

becoming

rectangular

pocket

purpose

type

"Bring

into

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nah. The light is always on, unless I reset it by removing the EFI fuse. Then it just comes back on again after about 4 startups. I think I will get a scan tool for the car. They aren't that expensive and seem to be coming down in $$ as apparently the new ones use the new CAN protocol. Thanks again for the help. btw, have you ever used the AlldataDIY service? It looks like a winner to me. At least much more indepth than the Haynes book collection. I always found those books lacking in info. It prompted too many questions for which they didn't have answers, except, "take it to the dealer". lol Dale

Reply to
Dale

The Alldata is good, but their commercial stuff is *expensive* !

There is another set of books out there, um, Bentley? Damn can't remember. They cost about the same as the factory service manuals, about $50, but assume you have a good understanding of mechanics, but not that particular car, and go in depth to the max!

Also, I think in a.a.toyota, I posted a link to how to troubleshoot OBDII without a scanner.

Reply to
hachiroku

and

which