What is the functionality of ENGINE OIL LAMP

Hello all,

What exactly is the ENGINE OIL LAMP on dash meant for?

Is it for oil level or oil pressure and oil condition ?

I recently had a condition where the oil is not seen on dipstick at all and it took about 1.5 qt to bring the level to FULL on dipstick(drain/refill capacity 3.5 qt, 99 camry LE 4cyl). I did not get the ENGINE OIL LAMP while driving or engine running. The lamp works as I can see it when key is in ignition position and will go off once I start the car.

TIA.

Reply to
vktechmails

If the oil light comes on with the ignition key at "ON" and goes off when you start the car, it's doing its job. (measuring rise in oil pressure) If you wait for that light to come on while driving - it's probably too late to avoid serious engine damage because it takes quite a loss in oil pressure to trigger the warning light. Your owner's manual will tell you it is the owner's responsibility to check the oil level frequently, because it is normal for some oil to be used during normal operation of the engine and the oil level must always be kept between the low and full marks. (best checked on a cold engine, level surface)

Reply to
Daniel

What exactly is the OWNER'S MANUAL in the glove box for?

It's for answering questions like the one you just asked.

Sheesh.

Reply to
Don Fearn

You got it - when that light comes on, it's to tell you that you're screwed.

Happened to a co-worker of mine awhile back. Don't remember the details, but I remember something about his oil change place not putting *something* on tight enough... might have been the plug, might have been the oil filter...

Reply to
onehappymadman

Couldn't agree with you more, Don.

Reply to
davidj92

The oil-light comes on when the engine's oil-pressure drops to about 3 PSI (three pounds per square inch of pressure). Now normal oil-pressure is in the vicinity of 30 PSI or more, so the light is really telling you the engine is stuffed or there is a serious fault in the oil-supply or if it blinks on while driving around corners, then goes out when the car is straight again,..that the oil-level is dangerously low. This last cause (blinking on and off) is a reversable situation if the oil is topped up fairly quickly.

In older high mileage engines, the oil-light can come on while the engine is idling (especially when hot), but go-out once the engine revs increase. In this situation the light is telling you the engine is worn, especially in the crankshaft bearings. Many engines go on for a long time despite being worn.

Jason

Jason

Reply to
Jason James