What kind of a switch am I looking for? -reverses current to window motor

Hi, This will probably be a very simple question for most of you, but I am electrically challenged.

I am looking for a 12v switch that will change the direction of current, to run a power window motor. I have a 90 camry and the switch for the drivers window is broken -plastic snapped off. I was told that the easiest way to fix this is to get a 2-way switch and bypass the original circuit. If you turn it one way, current flows in 1 direction. If you turn it the other way, current reverses. When not activated, it stays in "neutral". I would hook this up to an incoming hot wire and a ground, and then the other 2 wires would go to the male plug that runs the motor.

I would cut a hole on the inside of the door to mount the switch.

I tried it already using a temp hot wire and a ground, touching the tabs on the plug, and then reversing them. It worked perfectly. Up and down, up and down. Now I just want to make it permanent.

Anyways, when I go to radio shack or a car parts store, I don't want to look like a complete idiot. Could someone tell me what kind of a switch I am talking about?

Thanks very much.

dave

Reply to
dave

You want a DPDT, center off, momentary action switch (you have to hold the lever in position to activate the motor, then it springs back to the off position when released.

It MUST be center-off. It SHOULD be momentary (like the existing switch).

The middle two contacts go to the motor.

On one side you hook +12 and GND so the motor gets +12 to one contact, GND to the other.

On the other side you reverse +12 and GND, so the motor gets GND to one contact, +12V to the other.

I doubt if you'll find it at Radio Shack.

Here's one that will do the job "

"

Reply to
SMS

I'm wrong.

Here it is: "

"

Reply to
SMS

Hi SMS, (Steven?)

Thank you very much for both of your replies. I'm going to the local Radio shack tomorrow to pick up 1 or 2 of them. One reviewer said that it was cheaply made, so I'll look at it carefully and then decide if I'll buy a spare.

I very much appreciate all the good information you gave me. You provided a lot of in-depth info & details that were very helpful to me.

__Thanks again__!

dave

Reply to
dave

A junk yard might be easier and cheaper and actualy work, have fun with RS

Reply to
ransley