What REVS should my V6 03 Camry Idle at when first started

Hi,

My wife insists the car revs way to high im trying to prove her wrong - we live in a very cold climate -4 some nights and the car is totally covered in frost.

Being cold will obviously cause the car to rev higher am i right or wrong ?

Mike

Reply to
Michael

My 99 V6 Camry would rev to about 4,000 rpm in the winter time (if you can ever call it winter in southern CA). I thought that too high expecting something more like 1500 to 2000 rpms on a 35 degree morning. However, I saw at least one other guy asking the same question and assumed it was normal. But, on my 60,000 service they flagged something roughly called a "cold start motor" and replaced it for about $250. After that change-out, the rpms have never exceeded 2,000 on a cold start.

You didn't say what your rpms are so I don't know if the above is relevant, but just in case, I would have it looked at before it is out of warranty as happened to me.

Reply to
Orv

Reply to
Michael

My '93, right when firing, may go to 2000 rpm but that's maybe a split second. Then it settles in at 1000-1500 rpm for a short time. When at operating temp the idle is about 750 rpm.

Reply to
Hopkins

Mike,

Yes, you are right. This is not unique to camry either. When gasoline powered internal combustion engine reaches normal operating temperature, air/fuel ratio fed through carb or injection system is about 15:1 (if I remember well).

When engine is cold it will simply not even start using that mixture. The mixture has to be 'richer', more fuel content.

In the old days manual'choke' was used to start and run few minutes until engine reaches normal operating temp (about 80 deg celsius on the average)

Choke would also increase rpm somewhat to prevent stalling. Same thing nowadays, just much more automated.

Sveta

Michael wrote:

Reply to
Ederlezi