What's provable 35.63 mpg worth in a 2000 Camry ?

Last March my 2000 Camry 4-cyl LE traveled 997.7 miles on 28 gallons, New Mexico to California. That's 35.63 mpg, or 18.76% more than the

30mpg EPA highway average for the make/model. At $4.50/gal in CA, the average driver of 15,000 miles/year would save $356/year with my Camry, versus the average. Since $356/year is nothing to sneeze at and is a powerful indication that all's well under the hood, higher actual cash value would naturally follow, one would think.

Now the question: With my gas receipts before him, how much would a fair insurance adjuster add to the average market value for my Camry? Proof of excellence is a big deal, isn't it? A great actual mpg versus a "your results may vary" so-so estimate!

In June, a kid turned left into the rear door, and Farmers is trying to make a total loss of it. I need advice to save my car from the salvage yard. Your thoughts, anyone? (I really love my car.)

Thanks, Jake

Reply to
jake.pinneberg

#1 Unless I miss my guess, the adjuster wouldn't value your car at 10c more than the blue book suggests.

#2. Before you get into a hassle with Farmers, talk to your own insurance company - telling them that you don't want to part with your car and asking them for advice as to how to proceed. If you get huffy with Farmers you'll get nowhere, but if you chat them up, they may make allowances for you....after all, YOU're the aggrieved party, and it was THEIR insured who caused the damage to your car. But talk to your own agent or company rep first.

Reply to
mack

If you made it go 200mpg it wouldnt be worth more, nor if it had a $20000 stereo, value is based on comparable cars as any camry will get as good a milage, your value is based on condition and model, just get another one if thats the big deal. But the real issue is what do they sell for now, they hold their value well, just compare % depreciation to other cars like Caddy and 4wd suvs, they go for beans these days. You need to research and keep info on real offerings in your area, I did, and got $1000 more after a crash after I presented the info to the adjuster that their price was low

Reply to
ransley

Jake

I had a similar situation where a 10 year old car of mine was involved in an accident. The cost of repainting exceeded the value of the car so I was offered blue book on a well maintained car. I spoke with the insurance company and they gave me the blue book value (less 53.50 which was the junk yard offer) and left it up to me to "fix" the car on my own. I have also seen some wiggle room in the offers where you can show specific reasons for higher value such as recent (within 3-6 months) major repair bills.

I would get an estimate to repair (paying cash) and then determine if you can get sufficient from the insurance settlement to make it worth while doing the work.

Reply to
Art McClinton

No, the average driver doesn't drive from NM to CA. Your recorded mpg is great but not unusual.

=A0 Since $356/year is nothing to sneeze at

Not really.

One instance of great mpg is proof of excellence?

Instead, find comparable Camrys in your local market to figure out whether or not the insurance settlement would buy you a replacement car. You can seek out the best examples of 2000 Camrys at dealer lots as comparables.

Once you have their best offer, you ask for the salvage value. Salvage is the amount the insurance company can get for the car. Then you can offer to buy the car for the salvage price and still collect the settlement less your deductible. Once you own the car you can have it repaired (but you should know repair cost in advance) and find some other company to insure it. Or you can do what I did; sold it to a guy at the body shop for much more than the salvage value + deductible. Its gonna cost you too much to fix the car. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Reply to
ACAR

You cant prove your milage unless you filled the tank to overflow both times and ran the numbers, speedometers are often not 100% accurate and gas pumps shut off at different pressures making filling up inacurate. Wasnt the wind at your back that day pushing you.

Reply to
ransley