wheel bearing?

I'm hearing a noise from (apparently) one of my front wheels which I believe to be a wheel bearing?

is this a difficult chore to replace?

96 Camry 4 cyl 160000 miles
Reply to
stevie

Do you know the trick for removing the brake capiper? It's best to have a press to insert the outer race into the assembly. Do you know how to pack the bearing so grease don't get on the disk?

Best to let someone with the right equipment to it. It will take you hours and a competent repair man can do it in a half hour.

Reply to
Stubby

Do you know the trick for removing the brake capiper? It's best to have a press to insert the outer race into the assembly. Do you know how to pack the bearing so grease don't get on the disk?

Best to let someone with the right equipment to it. It will take you hours and a competent repair man can do it in a half hour.

Reply to
stevie

dude, there isn't a 'trick' to removing the caliper. Unless you qualify a

17mm socket as a 'trick'. Also, there shouldn't be any bearing grease involved as the wheel bearing is sealed and not serviceable. It's a sealed unit that is pressed in and out of the steering knuckle. So yeah, you'll need a hydraulic press. By the way, a good way to diagnose a faultly whel bearing if you don't have a lift and a stethescope is to take the car out on a flat two lane road and drift left and right at speed. If one of the bearings is faulty, you should notice a change in sound as the load tranfers from side to side. Hope this helps.
Reply to
qslim

Reply to
Alex