When do you replace thermostat on 2002 camry le v6?

I notice that the thermostat seems to work fine but in very cold weather (-10 to -30) it temp gauge does not get to the middle point (normal area) until driving for about 10 min.

Is this just because it is cold outside or is it because the thermostat needs replacing? Also, on the cold days, it takes awhile before you get warm air coming. Once the gauge shows normal reading, the air is fairly hot. I have about 94,000 km or 56,000 miles on the car

Reply to
Car Guy

Replacing it will help, 10 minutes it should be at temp. But a warning

3 out of four of non toy thermostats ive used in the years have been defective in one way or another, The last one the thermostat was OK but the gasket was to small always alowing cold water to bypass, Pay the extra $ get a toy thermostat My new one cut heating in half just on the gasket issue.
Reply to
m Ransley

Its only like $15 for OEM thermostat and seal - replace it and see. Even with newer long life antifreese it is still a good idea to change every 2 years - if you haven't done that do at same time. Not doing can cause heater core and radiator failure.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I only use OEM Toyota parts on my car. The reasons why the cars are reliable is based on part quality. If I short change on cheaper parts, the reliability of the vehicle will suffer.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Car Guy

I change the Toyota Long Life Coolant every 32,000 KM or 20,000 miles as listed in the Toyota Canada Maintenance guide. I have changed it so far 3x and the transmission fluid 2x as well in 94,000 KM or about 55,000 Miles of driving. I think I am pretty good with maintenance and change the oil every

7,000 km using Mobil 1 5W30 and OEM Toyota filter.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Car Guy

With a good thermostat the radiator is fully bypased till 180f. I get a bit of heat starting in 4 minutes at zero

Reply to
m Ransley

Well I don't have a problem with the heating as it does warm up pretty good, I just notice that the temp gauge sits in the cold area for some time before it starts rising. I will admit it has been -8 C to -20 C in the last few weeks here so this may be normal.

I just plan on taking the car in for the 96,000 km (60,000 mile) service and want to do the following things:

Perform 96K service oil change using supplied mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic oil replace coolant clean PCV valve check brakes check Termostat

Any suggesti> With a good thermostat the radiator is fully bypased till 180f. I get

Reply to
Car Guy

The only idea to partialy check thermostat is to see if radiator or hose are getting warm before they should. A 180 thermostat will Start to open at 180 not 175 and fully open at 200 or so. Meaning you should be nearly in the middle, norm range before you get any heat passed to the radiator. Changing with a Toy unit is cheap insurance. In maybe 6 minutes im hot at -10f now. Before it took 12-15 minutes, allbecause of a bad gasket bypassing water.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Philip

No. A typical 82°C thermostat starts lifting off seat at 81.5°C and is fully open by 85°C. The 81.5 will permit flow to the radiator.

In any case, the thermostat's operating rang has NOTHING to do with how quickly the engine temperature climbs to (say) 70°C (158°F). Yes, I see your mention of a faulty thermostat packing ring.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to