when should i change timing belt for my 95 camry?

I bought it with 57000 miles on it, and now it is 62000 miles

I heard that the timing belt will break at about 60000 miles , it it true?

Thanks

Reply to
fl

It probably will not break at 60,000 miles. But it might. Then again you could install a new one and have it break a week later??? I think the manual suggest replacement at about 70,000 miles that is what my 93 Camry manual stated, when I replaced it the old one looked as good as the new one. If you have an interference engine it is worth the piece of mind, because if it breaks you trash the engine, if you have a non interference engine I would ride it as long as I felt ok with it maybe 120,000 miles. I like the newer engine with the timing chains better, they should last the life of the engine.

mandrake99

Reply to
mandrake99

Major service interval is 60,000 miles. Toyota is conservative. The belt will not likely break at 60K, but if you replace it then, no worries, and you can go to 120,000 miles. At 60,000 miles the spark plugs are due for replacement, plus all the other maintenance and servicing items, like transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, separate differential if you have one. Dealers usually run timing belt specials at reasonable cost. Some people only change things when they break. By that method you don't have to do anything at 60,000 miles. The preventative maintenance recommendations are to get maximum life with minimum problems. There are a number of other items that are generally checked or replaced at that time: PCV valve, distributor cap, rotor and wires, (if you have them) belts and oil seals, valve cover gasket, etc., even the gas cap. It is possible you can go to 120,000 miles without changing the timing belt, or any of the fluids, apart from engine oil. Some people have done this. But if your power steering rack or transmission needs replacement, or the car starts missing, or just stops running, you do the repairs then.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

My thoughts exactly, If it's non interference and you can afford to drive it till you no longer feel safe and can stand the unplanned downtime (I have a spare vehicle) you can save money by waiting. But if you cannot afford the UNPLANNED downtime or do not have another vehicle to drive, or you have an interference engine it is well worth getting it replaced on schedule.

mandrake99

Reply to
mandrake99

I've just replaced the one on my wife's '96 for the second time, at 180,000. First time was 90,000. Both times there was a moderate amount of brown dust under the cover, and the belt teeth were shiny and probably worn .005" or so. (I bought it at 90,000, so had no choice the first time.) I would not recommend running beyond 90k, but you're probably safe running that long if you're not beating up the car too much.

Just by the way, the upper right engine mount was failed both times - the rubber bushing is designed to take the engine orque in SHEER rather than compression, a guaranteed failure. I am stymied why Toyota would let a design like that go out the door.

Distributor seal (o-ring) is also failed, and was when I changed the belt first time. This stuff does seem to happen all at once...

-Mark

Reply to
Mark C