Where can I go for a better price

My 2000 Camry makes a extra hissing sound when I take my foot off the brake and the car starts to move. Or when I brake and the car slows to a stop. The dealer checked and says the thickness of the rotors is about the minimum. To replaced them and the pads comes to $330+tax. Where else can I go in Los Angeles for a better price other than the dealer? Pepboys? Sears? Do they do brakes? Should I go for Genuine parts or not?

Reply to
poweruser

By all means get Toyota parts! There have been so many problems with warped disks and squeeky or noisy brakes with aftermarket brake parts on Camry's.

Reply to
ROBMURR

if you go anywhere else make sure they use toyota pads or your never get the wear you got with them. By the way what kind mileage did you get on the forst ones. On my 2002 I just hit 49k and they still look good.

Reply to
Dakelton

Surprized the dealer can tell ya need new rotors without a close look. Are rotors gouged/grooved/warped now? Suspect hiss is the wear indicator on the pads -- tend to pads quickly if you want to try to keep the old rotors. How many miles 75k then ok to new rotors -- less and they are probably still good. New OEM pads are $32 or so -- they are simple to replace - if you can change a tiore and your oil you can change pads.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Ive been using midas no problem and they are cheaper.

Reply to
m Ransley

They are a franchise - if you happened upon a good one --- I think its rare. They typically advertise a low brake pad replacemnt cost and then add on extras that you HAVE to have. Go back later to get pads replaced under lifetime warrantee and see how much more those $22 pads cost you. I prefer small indepent shops that come recommended for routine maintenance (if you can't do yourself) over dealer or franchised chain.

Reply to
Wolfgang

My Camry has 42k now. But between a dealer and a garage store that I went, one of them did a total f*ck-up job. Being a non-tech, I don't know who to blame.

The brake pads were replaced in May at a garage store when I hear squeaking sound while braking. My car had 32k then. The store serviced the rotors too to smooth up a bit. When my car was checked by a dealer two months later on a routine maintenance check, the pads were 11mm thick but shims were missing. I took my car to the garage store and they put the shims back.

The dealer checked my car again three months later on another maintenance check. They said the shims were still missing. My understanding is there should be either 4 or 8 shims on front brakes but the garage store probably put back only a few. By then I was sick of that garage store, so I had the dealer put on new shims. But I didn't see their remark on paper that the pads were 4mm thick until I recently hear hissing sound from under the hood when I brake down to a stop or brake down to make a left.

The dealer checked. Now they say the pads are 2mm thick and the two rotors are (I believe he said) 26.5 and 26.1, which are close to the minimum 26.0, and that is why the car makes the noise. I asked why the pads went from 11mm to 2mm in 7 months and after only 10k miles. The guy said it shouldn't but it obviously happened.

I remember the garage store said the pads are Toyota parts. Do they come with a one-year warantee by any chance? Then I only have the rotors to buy.

Reply to
poweruser