Where is FROST PLUG on 3 litre engine ?

The weather people are saying that this winter is going be colder than usual so I thought I'd install a block heater.

I was going to put in the type that fits into the rad hose but the "universal" one that I bought apparently won't work because of the hose arrangement in the Camry (I just called the heater manufacturer) so it looks like I have to go with the cheaper type that replaces the frost plug.

It's pretty cold out there right now (and dark) and I didn't feel like crawling around under the car to have a look so I'm asking here instead. (Also, how easy is it to get at to remove ?) If it's such that I require long arms and tiny hands, then I may just pawn off the job on my neighbourhood mechanic.

Thanks in advance .

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

You might be alot safer cutting in the hose, I would personaly not mess with a freeze plug., get someone that knows, Look for a round recessed disk apx 1" in diameter. Most everything is visible on the 4

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't mean this to be smart, but if you don't know what a freeze-plug is you probably shouldn't try to install yourself, especially if you need it in a hurry. They need to be installed in a precise manner so the block isn't damaged in the process and leak from it. The freeze-plug type is a good option, many types of construction equipment (backhoes, loaders and etc.) with diesel engines have this style and they work well. I've worked (replaced and installed) on a lot of these. I've personally used the tank style and they are a good choice. I opted for hooking to the heater hose and lower rad hose when I installed them. It used to be the dip-stick style was dangerous and started fires in some instances, so some states outlawed them. They are probably better constructed now but, would be my last choice. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

"" wrote: > The weather people are saying that this winter is going be > colder than > usual so I thought I'd install a block heater. > > I was going to put in the type that fits into the rad hose but > the > "universal" one that I bought apparently won't work because of > the hose > arrangement in the Camry (I just called the heater > manufacturer) so it > looks like I have to go with the cheaper type that replaces > the frost > plug. > > It's pretty cold out there right now (and dark) and I didn't > feel like > crawling around under the car to have a look so I'm asking > here > instead. (Also, how easy is it to get at to remove ?) If > it's such > that I require long arms and tiny hands, then I may just pawn > off the > job on my neighbourhood mechanic. > > Thanks in advance .

My suggestion is you get a trained mechanic to do the job. Once the frost plug is removed you will loose most of your coolant, hence a messy job. The engine block heater is easily damage on installation if not careful, and will cause MAJOR coolant leak if it blows out....which needless to say could cause engine damage if it over heats.

Joanne MH

Reply to
joanne_mh