Where to advertise a used car these days

Newspaper classified is not cutting it (1M+ circulation). I've heard about sites like autotrader.com, et. al., but am wondering people's opinions on how best to sell a used car?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Ballard

Last 3 (all Toyotas - oops 1 a Geo) I sold were to neighbors or thru word of mouth at work. Depends on how you price it, type vehicle, and how quick you want to sell. Some folks think they can get full retail price when they sell their used car --- and offer no warranty, mechanical certification or reconditioning. Many of the pricing guides have a private party resell price which is fair price - if you are realistic about condition. Make up a private party sticker for window and park it at local shopping center while you shop there. There's always CarMax if you don't want to mess around --- or donate it. If you're advertising in large newspaper and no calls --- then it is either overpriced/too high mileage or just another Ford Escort listing.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I used to have good luck in the news paper a few years ago, but now I found out that using autotrader.com seems to do much better. On my 95 Saturn, I averaged about 3 calls per week. And the cost was something like $30 for 3 months with photo ad. Not bad.

One hint for getting people to call is starting with a reasonable asking price. I am not sure what you are asking, but so many people think their cars are made of gold that people are afraid to call. I had my Saturn priced about $700 below other similiar cars which was still above the private party value. I was asking $2700 and got $2500 for it. That was a fair price for both of us.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

: Newspaper classified is not cutting it (1M+ circulation). I've heard : about sites like autotrader.com, et. al., but am wondering people's : opinions on how best to sell a used car?

: Mike

I went the Carmax route. If you go to KBB.com, they'll give you an idea of what you'll get. In my case, it was wholesale blue book. The car I sold wasn't a high demand car (ford windstar) so I just wanted to offload it.

Reply to
<barry