Which newer radio/cd would fit 1995 mechanically?

If you were to replace factory radio in 1995 camry with a radio & CD from a newer camry - which one would fit well mechanically? I know the harness adapter might be different, but this should be easy to overcome...

I do not want to go with a SONY or other radios since they will not be flushed with the center column and will look like a transplant :-)

Reply to
Pszemol

I need that info also. I have a 1995 4 cyl auto from new.

91.000 miles just came up this week. Its been NO trouble.

As you say others don't fit properly.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

If yours is a half-height with a pocket right below it then you should be able to use one up until 2001. After 1997 full-heights are pretty much the norm. There are also half-heights without CDs for the cheap CEs, but I don't think you want those. 2002 on they have weird shapes to lock you into Toyota, except when crutchfield.com starts carrying aftermarket look-alikes.

The OEM decks are Fujitsu-Ten units. From an audio standpoint kinda stink if you ask me. But you do get the same factory look and hear the traffic news. I don't know about the latest nav units (you can get a touch screen unit for example), but earlier ones are a joke compared to the excellent Garmin units with NavTeq maps for the US market.

Reply to
johngdole

Man, you keep this car in the garage all the time? My camry LE 1995 has 238k miles - still strong & happy :-) Got mine in 1998 with 47k.

Yeah, I saw couple of cars with radios like that on eBay and it looks horrible! :-) Maybe it will play better, but I have lowered expectations and factory radio is good for me ;-)

Reply to
Pszemol

Yes, mine is half height with a pocket below. Does it mean I can put a full sized radio with CD there? Can this be done without cutting anything inside?

I am looking at this one:

quite squared - not sure about the mounting.Will this fit 1995? Or ... no way?

Not interested in nav. Thanks.

Reply to
Pszemol

WOW you have been motoring with that CAMRY. I am retired so no works mileage at all. Its only about 8k miles a year. But I am so pleased that these mileages can be achieved Any major stuff needed doing in that time. I have replaced the battery at 9.5 years And fitted a new radiator at 85K miles. So that's been it. Still on original silencer/muffler. I wonder what that replacement cost will be when the day comes.

But I can see it being less than 8k in future. Our petrol/gasoline has just hit ?1.05 a litre if we multiply that up by 4.5 = Gallon @ ?4.72 a gallon unleaded. Or in US$9.68 a gallon.

Must get the old bike serviced. Pleasure to chat.

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

Yes, we were taking trips around USA - based in Chicago but went twice to Florida Keys, South Dakota, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Los Angeles... 5000k miles in a single summer was made quite often with this car :-) No major problems except A/C and radiator, I got the car after some crash to the front end, so both items were damaged and replaced with non-toyota parts by the previous owner, unfortunatelly.

Don't you worry - this mufler will last you many more years... You will be glad to know my camry, despite 238k miles on the odometer, has still original mufler ! :-)

Well, US gallon is "only" 3.8 liter, but I get the point. Regular gasoline in Chicago is about 3.20 USD/gallon, so it would be 3.2/3.8 = 84 US cents per L.

Cheers.

Reply to
Pszemol

Reply to
desgnr

That's an 2003. Does it slant back at the top?

02 and on are different, so don't know there.

one:

Shape quite squared - not sure about the mounting.> Will this fit 1995? Or ... no way?

Reply to
johngdole