Why was my 1989 Camry stolen, again?

My 1989 Camry is driven by my son in Seattle, WA. It has been stolen for the second time, today. Why is this car so easy to steal? My son keeps it locked and parked in front of his home.

The first time, we got it back after 6 weeks without much damage done to it except for the broken rear side window that allowed access. I don't know what will happen after todays theft. This is the second time in six months it has been stolen.

Dealing with the insurance company does not have much joy in it. They wait

2-3 months before they make the decision on whether the car will be given salvage value--the date is negotiable. They pay $20/day towards a rental car on our Camry--it is all based on what insurance coverage you have on the car at the time it way stolen.

If we do not get it back, what would be your suggestion for a replacement car--one that is not stolen very often and is reasonable in price, reliable like the Camry, etc.

regards

Mike Danielson

Reply to
Mike Danielson

Ever think of installing an alarm? Even a simple toggle switch to cut the electric fuel pump working or the ignition would save it from joy riders. The club is a good visual deterrent too. Me, I prefer, protected by Smith and Wesson!

Reply to
Wolfgang

How do they get it started? I understand with older Toyotas they can simply use a flat blade screwdriver they jam into the key slot and forcefully turn it - as older key cylinders become worn and can be forced. The counter measure would be to replace the key cylinder.

*Some people keep spare keys in the glove box / under the floor mats etc. My friend's car got stolen that way. I keep my spare key in my wallet to prevent that.

*They also could just tow it away. Not much you can do to prevent that one.

*The pros can jump the ignition wires - but with Toyotas this requires jumping 3 wires instead of the 2 wires needed for older GM/Ford/Chrysler cars - and that seems to prove too difficult for some of these people. There are metal steering column protective collars you can buy to thwart this method.

*There may be other ways to steal that you only learn about when you attend 'post-graduate' school at the local reformatory.

Why they steal our Camrys? These years of Camry cars are in demand as the parts are interchangable between a number of similar years, lots of these cars were sold and many are still on the road. In our area - thiefs prefer older North American minivan products - due to the apparent ease of stealing them... or maybe they are patriotic and like to "Shop American".

You can check with your local police to find out which are the more stolen vehicles in your area. There are also web pages describing the 'top ten' such as:

That page also gives a numberof tips on preventing theft. Things you can try to keep them away or at least slow them down:

  • Install a motion sensor light aimed at the car. The light coming on as they creep up can be a deterrent (or help them see what they are doing - if they are drug addicts!!).
  • Add a fake 'alarm' LED flashing light to the car.
  • Add a real alarm - trouble is most people ignore the alarm sounds due to all the false alarms. Additionally, the crooks can quickly disable the siren after they get into the car. The 'immobilizer' alarms prevent the engine from starting.
  • Use a steering wheel locking bar - trouble is they can easily remove these and most of us forget to put them on or don't want to be bothered using them.
*Etch an identifying number into your windows - this apparently reduces the value of the car to the thief - however I kind of doubt the thiefs look for 'etchings' before they swipe the car.

....... and the number one thing you can do (if you have one) - clean out the garage and park the car in it!

replacement

Wolfgang, thanks for the advice, particularly about Smith & Wesson.

We had a local fellow that did just that--he killed a teenager that broke into and lived for a couple of days in his travel home. The kid ran away when the owner surprised him one morning, and the owner shot him, dead (yes, in the back). The jury found the owner guilty of second degree murder and sentenced him to 2-5 years in the state penitentary.

Mike Danielson

replacement

Reply to
Mike Danielson

Apparently the next generation Camry (92-96) has improved locking system, and the prices are have come down to reasonable levels. Also check:

or

Daniel M. Dreifus

Thanks Daniel.

I talked to a locksmith, yesterday. She said that that year Camry has only

4 pins in the cylinder which makes it easy to copy the key just by a quick glance at the key by an experienced locksmith. Often the passenger-side lock is stolen, first, because it contains the key code--later the entire car is stolen after the key is made. In my case, she believed it was easy to start the car because the cylinder was worn out in the ignition switch so that any key or even a screwdriver could turn ignition switch on. These Camrys have a cheap lock in the ignition switch that wears out very quickly--she says to go to an autoparts store and purchase a replacement since the original part is extremely expensive from Toyoda ($160). I will do this if I get the car back (and it is still workable).

Mike Danielson

Reply to
Mike Danielson

Hi Mike!, I have a 1987 Toyota Camry and mine has a kind of electronic key you pull out that turns off the ignition in the car. It is located on the wall near where the hood release is located. So the camry you mention most likely has one also.

Someone tried to steal my 1986 Oldsmobile delta88 a couple of weeks ago. They broke my steering column, and exposed the wires, but did not steal it. Now i use a Master Luck steering wheel club.

Hope this helps.

Myc

Reply to
B.F.

Toyota thought they would be clever and save $ by only making 3 keys for all Toyotas (both cars and vans) made from about 1985 to 1991. I learned this the hard way by having a 1986 van and a 1989 camry stolen. I have since learned that if I lock myself out of my car I can ask another Toyota owner to see if his key will work. It usually does. It's the easiest car on the road to steal. The only way to stop it that I know of is to have a locksmith install new locks on all doors and ignition and trunk.

Reply to
Stepenwolf Bob