Window regulator removal

I have a 1986 Camry. I'm trying to do something quite low tech but am stumped at the moment. Maybe someone here has some feedback.

I want to remove a window regulator (and then the removable panel) to see what's causing a problem I'm having closing a window. The regulator has a plastic washer behind it which may be holding a snap ring in place. My Haynes manual says to (a) work a piece of cloth behind the regulator handle and move it back and forth, (b) until the snap ring is pushed up so you can remove it.

I have no problem doing step (a), but haven't gotten to (b). Poking around as best I can with a flat blade screwdriver, I can't sense anything resembling a snap ring. I don't want to break anything or permanently uncouple the regulator from the mechanism it rotates, so I'm putting off doing this until I hear from someone more knowledgeable.

Also, does anyone know how the regulator is coupled to the mechanism it drives? I picture male and female splined shafts, as on a drive axle, but don't know for sure.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
M. Hamill

You're talking about removing the window crank, right?? You're thinking about it correctly, the plastic handle slides onto the splined regulator shaft. The clip that holds said handle is shaped like a horseshoe. If you pry the handle away a little from the door, you should be able to see where the open end if the clip is. This is the side of the handle that you need to work that rag into. I hope that description makes sense. Anyway, you're on the right track. Oh and watch out when you do get that clip loose. Sometimes they like to go into orbit.

Qslim

Sometimes they like to go into orbit.

Reply to
Hopkins