Windows Fogging Up on my '94 Camry

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1994 Camry. The windows fog up during cold weather and when it rains. The defroster and the heater does not clear it up. It got so bad in very cold temperature, that I had to use a scrapper on the inside of the windshield. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Just a thought but do you have the vent lever set to "outside air" rather than "recirculate"? I had this same problem with my 94 Camry then noticed I had the vent set wrong according to the manual. When i set it to "outside air" the windows cleared up. BTW, this seems to be common at least with the 94's as my mom's Camry also does this.

Reply to
theironmaiden

This is also the way it works on my 2000 model Camry. I don't understand it at all. Seems like the AC would dry the air in the car and would keep the windows from fogging as it does in most vehicles. I do find it odd, but at the same time, I know to set the air source to non-ciculating/fresh air setting if I want clear, fog free windows.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Turn your AC on --- theynew ones automatically cut the AC on when you turn lever to defrost the windshield.

Reply to
Wolfgang

~Turn your AC on --- theynew ones automatically cut the AC on when you turn lever to defrost the windshield.

How new? Do I need to physically push the AC switch on my 99 XLE?

Thanks!

~> I have a problem with my 1994 Camry. The windows fog up during cold ~> weather ~> and when it rains. The defroster and the heater does not clear it up. It ~> got so bad in very cold temperature, that I had to use a scrapper on the ~> inside of the windshield. Any ideas??? ~>

~> Thanks, ~>

~> Mike ~>

~>

~> ~

Reply to
Father Guido

Switching from inside to outside air always does the trick on my '92.

-JCM900

Reply to
JCM900

Hi Mike, Same problem here, only mine is a '98 Camry LE. Turning on the A/C does the trick but I'm wondering why this happens all the time. I always leave the air lever in 'outside air' position and still whenever it rains everything fogs up. I've also had problems with the dome light and all the front panel lights going out intermittently and found that all of the light sockets had small amounts of corrosion which in turn caused sporadic connections. I'm betting that this has something to do with the excessive amount of moisture that gets trapped inside the car. I even took it to a body repair shop about two years ago to get it checked but the mechanic there told me that most Camrys he's seen have the same problem and there was nothing he could do. He told me this before doing any work and didn't charge me a cent (even though it was at his shop for a day) so I tend to believe that it is a Camry problem.

I do live in the Northeast US where it rains and snows a lot, which may be part of the problem, but I've owned at least ten other cars (not Toyotas) that did not have any moisture problems at all.

I love my Camry and will definitely buy another one. Hopefully Toyota has fixed this problem in the newer models.

NRJ

Reply to
Navin R. Johnson

Not sure the year - 2003 for sure. See if your green A?/ light comes on when you go to defrost with fan on.. If so that yours is new enough.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Guido, the AC copmpressor is on in a 97 Camry when Defrost is selected. I am fairly certain it will be on your 99, since my 2000 is also the same...................Traded the 97 for the 2000.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

~Guido, the AC copmpressor is on in a 97 Camry when Defrost is ~selected. I am fairly certain it will be on your 99, since my 2000 is ~also the same...................Traded the 97 for the 2000. ~ ~>

~>How new? Do I need to physically push the AC switch on my 99 XLE? ~>

~>Thanks! ~>

~ ~ ~ ~Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply ~ ~MUADIB® ~ ~

~ ~one small step for man,..... ~ One giant leap for attorneys.

Reply to
Father Guido

~Not sure the year - 2003 for sure. See if your green A?/ light comes ~on when you go to defrost with fan on.. If so that yours is new ~enough.

No A/C light while on defrost with fan blowing. Does your A/C switch light actually come on while in defrost? If so, I guess my A/C doesn't work with my defroster. Thanks.

8^(

~> ~Turn your AC on --- theynew ones automatically cut the AC on when you ~> turn lever to defrost the windshield. ~>

~> How new? Do I need to physically push the AC switch on my 99 XLE? ~>

~> Thanks! ~>

~>

~>

~>

~>

~>

~>

~>

~> ~> I have a problem with my 1994 Camry. The windows fog up during ~> cold ~> ~> weather ~> ~> and when it rains. The defroster and the heater does not clear it ~> up. It ~> ~> got so bad in very cold temperature, that I had to use a scrapper ~> on the ~> ~> inside of the windshield. Any ideas??? ~> ~>

~> ~> Thanks, ~> ~>

~> ~> Mike ~> ~>

~> ~>

~> ~>

~> ~ ~> ~

Reply to
Father Guido

Easiest way to avert this is to use fresh air for heater/defroster AND to open a window in the car maybe 1/4". Warm air and humidity go happily outside, windshield is clear, and cars waste so much energy the heat you get is pretty much a freebie, so open the window.

Living in ND teaches simple lessons you don't need an AC switch for. ;)

Mark

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

Living in North Dakota does not teach much about humidty. Preventing/removing water condensation from windows quickly requires the A/C to be running and Defrost selected. What you have posted above (using Heat with Defroster and an open window) works when the outside humidity is low compared to the humidity in the passenger compartment.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

I thought AC compressors would not activate at apx 50-55F or below.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sorry for the delayed response,.......long damn week.

My A/C light comes on when the button is pushed and controls are in any position, or automatically when in Defrost mode. It shuts off if you move it from defrost while it is on, and will come back on if you push the button while controls are set at any other positioin.

I hope that doesn;t sound too weird.............

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

~ ~>Thanks for the info, my A/C green light doesn't come on though, does ~>your A/C light come on? ~ ~Sorry for the delayed response,.......long damn week. ~ ~My A/C light comes on when the button is pushed and controls are in ~any position, or automatically when in Defrost mode. It shuts off if ~you move it from defrost while it is on, and will come back on if you ~push the button while controls are set at any other positioin. ~ ~I hope that doesn;t sound too weird............. ~

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it does sound weird. My A/C light will turn on in any of the air distribution settings, no matter what the temperature, but it never flashes. My manual says to use the A/C to dehumidify the inside air. So maybe I'll just turn it on and leave it on all the time, with the temperature set to high in the winter.

Thanks Again,

Reply to
Father Guido

That's what I do for the most part. When My windows fog up on the inside, I turn it on "fresh" and when It's not I use the Recirculating setting for the source. other than that everything agrees with yours.

Now, once in a while, I run through a puddle on a rainy day and the AC light flashes for a minute or so, when it flashes, I have no AC. I can turn the AC switch off for a few seconds, and back on, and it comes back to normal operation, and no flashing light.

I guess the flashing light is an indication that there is a belt slipping or a really Huge cooling down of a component under the hood that is not tolerant of such. It was the same in the 97 I had also. I suppose the system could be smart enough to recognize a pressure issue due to the temp change caused by the cooling water hitting a bit of tubing or something.