Windshield Washer Fluid Creates Frost - Suggestions

Lately it has been very cold in parts of Ontario, Canada (-20 to -30 degrees C.) and I find that the windshield washer fluid when sprayed on the windshield, causes the windshield to frost up and makes visibility very difficult.

The current fluid is rated for -40 degrees C. and it still does this. Can anyone suggest what to use?

Thanks

Reply to
Car Guy

"Car Guy" spake unto the masses in news:B1nNb.2643$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Keep your heater set to defrost, full-hot and full-blast. Keep the windshield as warm as possible. Replace wiper rubbers every fall, with OEM.

Reply to
Tegger®

Tegger,

I DID have the defroster on full with heat (the car was VERY hot) and the blades are brand new (OEM Toyota winter blades).

Reply to
Car Guy

...a trip to Florida...to join all your fellow countrymen?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Hey..We had NOTHING to do with that fiasco of an 'election'

mike

Reply to
m II

Normally the window is not going to get very dirty in -20 or lower so you should not need to use the washer all that often. As others suggested - ensure the windshield has been warmed up with the defrost setting.

Even then I suggest only using the washer when the car is standing still as the wind chill from moving is going to remove the alcohol content from the washer fluid very quickly.

Re; Florida My friend in Florida has to wash his car daily to get rid of the paint eating gunk caused by the 'love bugs' down there. All climates have their challenges.... although I have to admit sitting around the pool (where the water in it is not solid) does sound inviting.

I guess you have never driven in snow/slushy weather in Toronto to make the comment that "the window is not going to get very dirty in -20 or lower so you should not need to use the washer all that often."

Reply to
Car Guy

Love Bugs only come a couple of times a year...and yes they must be washed off quickly.

I'll take Love Bugs over snow/ice any day!!!!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ah yes Toronto.......

Can I slip in a 'call the army to clean your windshield' wisecrack? Ok - I thought not..... but is was fun thinking of it. :-)

Here in Winnipeg - when it gets cold - it stays cold - from November to March - so we have little need for the windshield washers during that time...

A Cdn Tire ad I just saw may be the solution you are looking for. They offer a Motomaster windshield washer fluid good to -45 with Teflon in it. They claim it gets around the problem you described as it contains extra soap to clean the windshield & the Teflon is supposed to make the wiper blades easier to ...umm.. wipe.

$3 a jug though!!

"A" spake unto the masses in news:MlHNb.117703$X%5.115625@pd7tw2no:

Our dirty windshields come from driving in heavy traffic.

Car tires and engine heat warm up the snow on the road, turning it to water, which then is thrown up by the rear tires onto the windshield of the car behind.

Reply to
Tegger®